Any playful small animals that can be kept as pets(please read description)?

I'm not sure what kind of pet I want. I'd love a small animal that has the personality of a rat, because rats seem like really good pets. But my mom won't let me have a rat, because she's scared of them. I can't have a chinchilla because they need cool temperatures, and it gets pretty hot... show more I'm not sure what kind of pet I want.

I'd love a small animal that has the personality of a rat, because rats seem like really good pets. But my mom won't let me have a rat, because she's scared of them.

I can't have a chinchilla because they need cool temperatures, and it gets pretty hot where I live, especially since I don't have air conditioning.

Guinea pigs seem too timid, and slow, and I'm looking for an interactive pet, one that clearly enjoys you playing with it.

Rabbits seem interesting, but they just don't seem to be on the same intelligence and playfulness level as say, squirrels or rats. Plus, for some reason, I'd love to have an animal that can hold things with their "hands" the way a rat or a squirrel does.

So basically, I'd love to have a pet that can be as active and playful as a squirrel, except It's legally not allowed to have a squirrel as a pet where I live.
Update: I can't get a dog because a landlord won't allow it.

And I live in California, and many animals are illegal to own over here, including ferrets and sugar gliders.
Update 2: And I really wouldn't want to get a bird, because I really don't like the idea of locking an animal that's supposed to fly in a small cage. And I'm aware that if I ever let the bird outside I would have to clip some of it's wing feathers, and I really don't want to do that.