Why Windows 7 updates take so long to install?

Hi, I don't understand a phenomenon that Windows 7 produces. Why updates installed through Windows Update take soooooo long? For example Windows 7 Service Pack 1, or more recently this Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1, or any .NET Framework updates took ages to install: first TrustedInstaller or other... show more Hi,
I don't understand a phenomenon that Windows 7 produces. Why updates installed through Windows Update take soooooo long? For example Windows 7 Service Pack 1, or more recently this Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1, or any .NET Framework updates took ages to install: first TrustedInstaller or other similar processes worked in the background for about 3 hours - I could still use my computer but everything worked quite slow during this time. Then, when I turned off my computer I took another 2 hours to turn off. Then, when I turned on my computer it took another 1 hour to install and "configure Windows" and only then I could start using my computer again. Then, even when finally Windows was fully started it took another almost 2 hours until TrustedInstaller and other similar processes finally stopped using loads of CPU and HDD time... That is about 8 hours!!! To completely install Windows 7 from install DVD on a new computer it takes about 45 minutes. So why on earth an update takes 10 times longer than that?! Also, I can hard format a 320GB HDD in less that 4 hours, or can completely fill it up with stuff within hours - Windows could have completely delete and rewrite everything on the HDD twice in 8 hours... (But as C operating system partition is only 60GB, it could have that that probably 10 times in 8 hours...). So would you please explain this to me? I really would like to understand.
Also, it is very annoying, that although I bought my laptop 2+ weeks ago and used (or try to use) it every day, after two weeks it still installs and installs. I am fed up and pondering turning off the entire automatic updates completely. Or migrate to Linux. It is lightyears faster (why?).
Thank you.
Update: Okay, a few more details: the laptop is an Asus, with 4GB memory, 1.9GHz dual core processor. It had Windows 7 Home Premium preloaded. I turned it on, burnt the recovery DVDs as it was recommended, then started to use it. Soon I noticed that things worked slow and that HDD LED was flashing all the time. I checked... show more Okay, a few more details: the laptop is an Asus, with 4GB memory, 1.9GHz dual core processor. It had Windows 7 Home Premium preloaded. I turned it on, burnt the recovery DVDs as it was recommended, then started to use it. Soon I noticed that things worked slow and that HDD LED was flashing all the time. I checked task manager and resource meter and I figured out that it was downloading and installing updates. I let it finish (hours) and the turned off the computer (took an hour or so, it installed some 83 updates). Next day I turned it on, it took approx another hour to start and then two hours or so to finish whatever it had to finish (30-60% CPU load and HDD LED flashing all the time). Then I was happy that it finished installing finally, and I could use my laptop. Then, two day later came the Service Pack 1 and took ages - it updated it automatically, I never went to Windows Update and never started a manual update. Then again, and again, every two or three days it installed more an
Update 2: more and more updates. Now there are some 120 or so updates on it... I am wondering when it gonna finish? The points that I am really interested in: - When it will finish all the updates finally? How many more updates are there? - Why on earth it takes this long to install updates? I could install the whole... show more more and more updates. Now there are some 120 or so updates on it... I am wondering when it gonna finish?
The points that I am really interested in:
- When it will finish all the updates finally? How many more updates are there?
- Why on earth it takes this long to install updates? I could install the whole Windows 7 much faster than these updates take... Is it a programming bug in Windows 7? (Don't think it's the laptop. My wife's desktop (3+GHz dual core processor) computer has Windows 7 as well, and every few week it does the same slow updating. (And it is not the downloading, have 20MBit cable internet) Only difference is that her desktop computer installs updates once or twice every few weeks, whereas my laptop installs updates once or twice very few days...).
- Why Windows needs all these updates? I mean, compared to Linux, it is crap in terms of security. Linux seems a lot more safe system without security updates than Widnows (not just 7, but Vista, XP etc. too
Update 3: too) with updates. Why there are so many Windows viruses and so few Linux ones. Did Microsoft designed Windows 95/98/ME/2000/Xp/Vista/7 (and the coming 8) with a flaw that provides viruses with a better chance to spread, infect and cause damage than Linux? Also Linux seems a lot faster. Applications start faster.Op... show more too) with updates. Why there are so many Windows viruses and so few Linux ones. Did Microsoft designed Windows 95/98/ME/2000/Xp/Vista/7 (and the coming 8) with a flaw that provides viruses with a better chance to spread, infect and cause damage than Linux? Also Linux seems a lot faster. Applications start faster.Op system starts faster. From a live DVD it even installs into memory in approx. 3-4 minutes! I can't help but I have this feeling since Windows 98 or so (since I had internet and security issues) that something is wrong with Windowses. They are large, work slow, full with security issues and problems.
Sorry this simple questions is developing into something much more complex and complicated topic. The original question was why is an update taking 5x longer than a whole Windows install?