WordPress through Yahoo! Small Business?

So I wanted to get started with WordPress (not the free thing on Wordpress.com, but the one where you download files and install them) but I'm having a bit of trouble. So I went to WordPress.org and downloaded the files they told me I needed and moved them to a subdirectory in my Yahoo server (there were a lot... show more So I wanted to get started with WordPress (not the free thing on Wordpress.com, but the one where you download files and install them) but I'm having a bit of trouble. So I went to WordPress.org and downloaded the files they told me I needed and moved them to a subdirectory in my Yahoo server (there were a lot of files).

After all the files were uploaded (I used FTP through Dreamweaver) I followed some more instructions by WordPress.org and they told me to a page which should get everything installed. I tried and it came up with a bunch of errors and recommended that I check to see if my host (Yahoo) had a WordPress domain/database already set up. I looked around and saw the WordPress feature (which I have been ignoring up until now) in the control bar and went through a few easy steps and...got a blog activated. I went back and tried to run that install page again (wp-admin/install.php) and it said WordPress was installed.

Here is where I got confused:
I knew from the start that WordPress was a blogging thing but I was under the impression that it could be used to supplement my existing website (through Yahoo) as a web design tool without the need to use the blog portion.
So now that I uploaded over 9MB worth of files to the server, what do I do with them? It seems like the simple process I went through to set up WordPress (in Yahoo) would automatically generate the necessary files for WordPress to function, but would the files I uploaded manually get in the way or would they be overwritten as I use WordPress?

I've tried contacting Yahoo about this but they just keep referencing the steps I already accomplished to set up the blog portion.

This is all reletively new to me so I don't now if I'm doing it right or just making things harder for myself.