Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 8 years ago

Is there any question now that David Wright is still the best 3B in the NL?

BQ: Wright or Evan Longoria? Who would you rather have career wise?

And I say "still" because people considered him the best before 09, and then made judgements on that season saying that he was done and Citi Field ruined his career, and ignored the fact that he came one HR away from having a 30-100 season in 2010, and would've had close to that if he played a full season last year

*Judging by his stats he would've had close to a 30-100 season.

Chaos, just out of curiosity, approximately how long did it take you to type that?

• Chaos
    Favorite Answer

Here's my second absurdly long answer for this season

NO. I've been saying it for the longest time. David Wright is the best third baseman in the game and the Mets NEED to resign him. I remember a multitude of Met fans on metsblog.com and even here calling for his head and calling him a phony leader after his .250 average last year. Now they're eating their words. David Wright is the best 3B in the game. I refuse to mention A-Rod in any of this because of his steroids use.

I'll like to compare most people's top 3: Evan Longoria, David Wright and Ryan Zimmerman.

1) Season wise, he's the best bar-none. I don't need to explain.

2) Consistency wise, he's the best.

[] Batting average by seasons:

- David Wright: .293, .306, .311, .325, .302, .307, .283, .255., .402

*5 .300+ seasons, not counting this year since it isn't finished yet

- Evan Longoria: .272, .281, .294, .244., 329

*0 .300+ season, not counting this year since it isn't finished yet

- Ryan Zimmerman: .397, .87, .266, .283, .292, .307, .289, .257

*1 legit .300+ season. He played 20 games in his rookie year with .397 average

ADVANTAGE: David Wright

[] Career batting average:

- David Wright: .302

- Evan Longoria: .276

- Ryan Zimmerman: .288

ADVANTAGE: David Wright.

[] Runs batted in by season

- David Wright: 40, 102, 116, 107, 124, 72, 103, 61, 18

- Evan Longoria: 85, 113, 104, 99, 19

- Ryan Zimmerman: 6, 110, 91, 51, 106, 85, 49, 7

ADVANTAGE: Tied between David Wright and Evan Longoria

[] Batting average with RUNNERS ON (for the Longoria fans who claims Wright only has more RBI because of Reyes and Beltran). Career wise.

Key:

RISP = Runners in Scoring Position

RO = Runners on

BL = Bases loaded

BE = Bases Empty

- David Wright RISP average: .293

- Evan Longoria RISP average: .286

- Ryan Zimmerman RISP average: .272

- David Wright RO average: .307

- Evan Longoria RO average: .296

- Ryan Zimmerman RO average: .285

- David Wright BL average: .316

- Evan Longoria BL average: .268

- Ryan Zimmerman BL average: .262

- David Wright BE average: .298

- Evan Longoria BE average: .285

- Ryan Zimmerman BE average: .290

ADVANTAGE: David Wright. MUCH better hitter with runners on and to get things started

[] On base percentage career wise:

David Wright: .382

Evan Longoria: .362

Ryan Zimmerman: .354

ADVANTAGE: David Wright by .020

[] Slugging percentage career wise:

David Wright: .509

Evan Longoria: .516

Ryan Zimmerman: .477

ADVANTAGE: Longoria by .007

3) Injuries

David Wright seem to have gotten the reputation of being "injury prone" over the past few years. Yet he has only been on the DL twice, and neither were reasons like running to first base and blowing our your hamstring. The first stint was because Matt Cain hit him in the head. Nothing he could have done. The second stint was diving into third base, completely avoidable if Wright wanted to impersonate a slouch like Hanley

[] AVERAGE games per season:

David Wright: 148.1

*Note: I didn't include his 69 game rookie season since he didn't get injured and got called up late. Didn't include this year either for obvious reasons

Evan Longoria: 140.8

*Note: I included his 122 game rookie season, and if I exclude it, the average is 147.0, still lower than Wright's. Didn't include this year either for obvious reasons

Ryan Zimmerman: 137.5

*Note: I didn't include his 20 game rookie season for obvious reasons. Didn't include this year either for obvious reasons too.

ADVANTAGE: David Wright

Wright is CURRENTLY the best third baseman in the game, bar-none. I'm tired of ignorant people saying Evan Longoria is, when he clearly is not. I'll like anyone who claims Longoria is to post a counter argument

At Mr. Jack: Remember Wright's walk off against Mariano in 2006? Because I do

INTERESTING TRIVIA for those who claims Wright was the cornerstone of the Mets multiple chokes: David Wright batted .352 in September 2007. Jose Reyes batted .205 in September 2007. David Wright batted .340 in September 2008. Jose Reyes batted .243.

Also, allow me to explain David Wright's 2009 season, where he apparently "sucked" with his .307 average and 72 RBI. In 2009, .309 average with runners in scoring position and .317 average with runners on. Do Longoria fans know what that means? He would've had more RBI if ANY MET got on base for him to drive in because clearly, David's hitting with runners in scoring position was not his problem in 2009

Probably 17-25 minutes when I was bored, but I was listening to music in the background, particularly Eminem and Linkin Park if you care

LOL. The white extremist thinks the Citi Field is suddenly a home run park now. FACT: Citi Field is #27 in home runs, only ahead of Petco, Safeco and AT&T

No. Not until Hanley Ramirez gets back to the player he was a few years ago. If that ever happens.

BQ: I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean who would I rather have for the rest of their career, then I would take Longoria. They are going to put up similar numbers, but Longoria is a few years younger, is a better fielder, and is much more clutch (i.e. walk off HR to get the Rays into the playoffs last year) and is a better leader. David Wright never gets a big hit.

While my opinion may be a little biased, I truly believe Wright is the best 3B in the NL. Possibly the whole MLB. He can hit, field, and has a decent set of wheels.

BQ: Well lets take a look at the stats shall we. Longoria has played 5 years. In those 5 years Evan has hit 117 HR, 420 RBI, and has a .276 BA. Now lets take a peek at Wright. Rememer Wright has played 9 games. So to get a fair and correct answers we will look at what Wright did the first 5 years of his career. In 5 years of play Wright has hit 130 HR, 481 RBI, and had a .309 BA.

Bottom line Wright has/had a better career statistically then Longoria.

Source(s): A lot of research on Baseball-Reference.Com

I think he still is because I think he's better than his competition in Zimmerman, Freese and Sandoval. Wright however, isn't a franchise player even though to the Mets he is. I think that's one of the reasons his numbers have been so inconsistent the last few years; not because of the stadium but because of the added pressure, perhaps from the Mets some brought upon himself. His best years were with Beltran and Delgado around him. Still, I think he and Davis will make an adequate combo and I think Wright is a great player.

BQ- I think Longoria is better but I like Wright's attitude and that's not something that can be learned. I'd take Wright on my team over Longoria.

He's a very good 3rd baseman, but he has competition with Zimmerman, Freese and Sandoval (when healthy). IMO, the starting 3rd baseman for the All-Star game will be either Wright or Freese.

BQ: I'll take Longoria.

I'd have to pass on both if I was building a team right now. A great player performs well in any venue and the Mets had to move the fences in to help Little David pad his power totals. Longoria is too fragile and his performance hasn't really justified the hype he receives.

If I was adding a young 3rd baseman to my team today I'd go with Lawrie, Moustakas, or even Hanley Ramirez, who is a far more-talented player when he doesn't have his head up his @ss.

I'm not impressed with Wright or Longoria.

• wesely

What approximately Mike Morse? Batted super final 3 hundred and sixty 5 days and is versatile interior the sphere. i think of he performs each place, even nevertheless hes no longer the bestfielder. additionally very youthful so we cant quite tell yet how he would be in 4 yrs

No. Casey is.

@Rebel: Eat my cock.