Coolio asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Alaskan Malmute and Siberian Husky?

Just a quick question, what is the best way to tell a Siberian Husky apart from an Alaskan Malmute? I always seem to think they look really alike when I see them.

:D thanks for reading.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Alaskan Malamute: http://www.dogbreedswallpapers.com/wp-content/uplo...

Siberian Husky: http://www.animalsgallery.com/gallery/siberian-hus...

The Malamute is a tall, square dog that is pretty heavy in build, they are freight-pullers equivalent to horses like Clydesdales. They have heavier bone, longer legs, are overall stockier in build.

The Siberian is a long, rectangular dog that is moderate-to-light in build, they are endurance racers equivalent to horses like Arabians. They have lighter bone, relatively shorter legs and a longer-bodied profile and are more refined in build.

Additionally, the Malamute carries its tail over the back and the Siberian carries it down or raised in a slight curve. The Malamute is a large breed - 23-25" tall and weighing 75-85 pounds - while the Siberian is a medium-large breed - 20-23" and weighing 35-60 pounds.

If you look at the dog and think "football player" you're looking at a Malamute. If you look at the dog and think "cross-country runner" you're looking at a Siberian.

• 8 years ago

well let me start out first that siberian huskies are slimmer than the malmutes an malmutes have a heavier coat then huskies but siberians are faster but malmutes are stronger so if you look at the siberian it looks slim but if you look at the malmute they look buff and fluffy

Source(s): very high in dogs
  • 8 years ago

Alaskan Malamutes are the largest arctic sled dog. Siberian Huskies are strong, compact, working sled dogs.

• 8 years ago

Omg i had the same problem Malamute's are bigger and more muscular and husky's are thinner and smaller. If you still have a hard time telling them apart then I would look up pictures on google images and then hopefully you will be able to tell the difference. Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Malmute is a big thick dog. Husky is smaller and lighter weight. If that helps.

Source(s): pet store
  • 8 years ago

Google the breeds and look at the photos. They look very different. Mals are much larger and heavier.

• 8 years ago

size

google and read books on the breeds

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.