I told my mom that I love My Little Pony...now she is really upset?

Today I confided in my mother that I like the new My Little Pony show. At first she was like, "Okay...that's fine." But a few minutes later she came to me and said, "Look...I'm going to be frank with you. You're 18-years-old. You're going to college soon. I'm going to give you some good advice right now. Do NOT tell anyone at college that you enjoy watching that show. You'll regret it."

I told her that "bronies" are usually in the 16-25 year old age range, but she was insistent. She said, "Why would you want to fight that fight? You're setting yourself up for ridicule, and you're going to have a terrible time in college if you don't start manning up, taking responsibility, and acting like an adult. For Pete's sake....Ponies? Really? That's like if you were into Strawberry Shortcake or the Telletubbies."

I told her that she wasn't being open-minded enough, but that just made her angry. She said, "It's one thing to be open-minded, and it's another thing to just be a weirdo. I'm going to be blunt here. You ARE weird for liking that show, and you'll have a horrible time living in this society if you don't hide that bizzare interest!! Most NORMAL people can't talk about ponies for a whole God-d*** hour! Geez..."

She really hurt my feelings when she said that. She had not reacted in the way I wanted her to at all. Now she's ticked at me, AND ashamed of me for liking a show that she thinks I shouldn't like. What do I do now? How do I convince her that my interest is not that bad? I told her, "Hey, at least I'm doing this instead of doing drugs!"

She responded with, "Just leave me alone."

How can I get her to change her mind about me and the show?

Favorite Answer

Evan, your family are narrow minded and I knew as soon as you asked this question from all the other things you have said over time about how your family react to certain things..this was exactly the response I did expect from your mom..I don't know why I seem to know them better by now than you do...she has been like this and your father is even worse...so in one way she is right...nobody has a right to ridicule you or judge you for whatever show you watch..and I might eat strawberry shortcake and I watched one episode of the Teletubbies when I was 30 because I thought they were sooo cute..but she may be right that when you go to college you should not have to hide that you like the show but don't go around advertising it to all your new pals you make there...Just like it and stand by that and don't let anyone take that from you and don't feel ashamed because you like it..because it would be a lot worse if you were a drug addict or hanging out drunk and coming home drunk or even getting behind the wheel of a car and be a drunk driver..so your mom is just very narrow minded but you might be teased at college...then you need to stand up for yourself and if you want to avoid bullying and still stand by your show...then you have to learn to be outgoing and don't let others get under your skin easily instead make funny jokes about it...and make it appear funny...if you can manage to not take yourself seriously and show a sense of humor and come back with a witty remark about your watching the ''My little Pony show'' then you can watch it and still will not be unpopular ..if you are a funny guy who brings his liking of this show across with a great sense of humor...then they will accept that...

Your mother and father they probably would be no help to a young man either if he found out he was gay...and they would say..''don't let anyone know..stay in the closet..'' hide it.Suppress those feelings, go and see a shrink...(I am not saying or not even implying that i mean you being gay, I just know your parents would react like that...and just think..''this is something one can suppress and has to hide, and that shows they are narrow minded because parents who are open minded..just like Ellen de Generes's mother Betty...Ellen de Generes is lesbian, she went public with that over 12 years ago and she was not popular for 1 year at television but she got a mother Betty and she is well over 80 now..at 68 or so when Ellen told her, she accepted that and she loves Portia de Rossi...who is the ''wife' of Ellen de Generes '' as they got married some 2 or 3 years ago and mom approves...she wants nothing more than her daughter to be happy...and open minded parents want that more than anything else..but yours are tough nuts to crack..they must be brought up very stricly themselves..or very religious over the top and god would approve...because he would like people to have fun and if ''my little pony '' gives you fun'' then he would not think that something to be ashamed about and god would also never juge people who love someone of the same sex as long as both feel the same...because to god all people are equal and he does not see anyone as a weirdo, but everyone is a unique human being and nobody is perfect and god would not expect it..but some people seem to have some problems with others being just a little bit different..so just don't mention it to your mother anymore Evan, because she will stick by what she said..she is not flexible minded when something is just a little bit different..so your sister gave you some good advice...when she said...watch it but just don't advertise it...or you need to have a sense of humor and defend your liking with humor...as a weapon and not feeling hurt or angry or upset but just show others..this is what I like..and I have a sense of humor..then you will avoid bullying but you tell others and then show your feelings get hurt if they make sniding remarks..then you will suffer some cruel remarks from future peers..so you need to be a strong and funny person then they will accept whatever you do...or you need to keep it to yourself so that you won't find some others who are also narrow minded and make fun of the fact that you like that show..that's unfair and immature and cruel but that is what some people are like...xx

• Jennifer4 years agoReport

I didn't even read this whole thing, I'm just giving you a thumbs up for writing all of this. Keep doin u

Well, in a sense you are both right. You are right because there is nothing wrong with you liking that show. Your mom is right in that maybe you should keep that to yourself. When I was twenty-six, which was eleven years ago, my favorite show was Spongebob Squarepants. Personally, I didn't have a problem liking that show, the episodes back then were really done well. But on the other hand, it wasn't something I shared with a lot of people. Also, I actually liked Rebecca Black when Friday came out. That's okay, I guess. But again, this isn't something I would want to broadcast on the airways. Some likes are meant to be on the private side.

Unfortunately, the My Little Pony thing is almost impossible for anyone to understand if they don't know about it. Don't bother her right now, just wait for her to calm down first. Later, when she's in less of a bad mood (but don't wait to long, she'll say she "just doesn't want to talk about it," or something similar), explain that this particular iteration of My Little Pony isn't the same as the others (be kind of specific), and if possible provide evidence that there are actually a lot of men in your age range who like the show. Googling "brony" in front of her might do it. If she won't let you talk about it or just refuses to accept it, then just drop it for now. After a few months in college, let her know exactly how little being a brony has affected you negatively in college. If she won't accept your actual experiences as evidence... well, you already moved out by this point, so...

I can see on the one hand, while, she thought she was giving you good advice.

We all have heard of hazing and bullying that goes on in College. While, it's not as bad as High School it can still be bad.

But if you are smart enough to get into college, I'm sure you are smart enough to know, with whom you should talk to about "My Little Pony" which I am afraid, I have never heard off.

I agree she went overboard, about you not being NORMAL, or weird. Just because of some TV show you watch and like.

For now, it's just best to let things blow over, maybe once she cools down and hopefully, realizes she went to far. Then you can talk to her about this 'bronies' thing. And to make her understand.

What would she prefer you watch? What's normal to her? Listen, forget about it. Parents are never gonna agree with everything you do or like, you keep enjoying your show, who cares if others consider it weird, I think its weird that it bothered your mom so much... see, no one ever agrees on everything and you can't spend your life trying to live like others want you to. She made a good point, you are 18 and you're going off to college soon, independence is just around the corner and if that independence includes My Little Pony, so be it.

Source(s): Personal experience.

She's obviously tunnel minded about the whole situation. Its best if you just keep it to yourself, since it is your life and you know more than she does in this case. If you really want her to change her mind, I recommend showing her ballad of the brony on youtube. Its a documentary on the show and the fanbase.

Shes not being very reasonable. I think its ok for anyone to have a specific interest in certain things. She as a parent has to be a bit more understanding. Shes trying to be protective by judging you and telling you you will be judged but thats just making matters worse. When my brother told my dad for the first time he was gay, he was ridiculed by my dad, my dad used to make fun of him and told him he would never fit in. my brother didnt care, and I think you shouldnt either. In time my dad accepted him because he still is his son and he loves him very much. Everyone is unique and is entitled to be or like whatever they desire. Personally I think ponies rock.

You should tell her that she really hurt your feelings, and she should be more considerate and think before she reacts. Im sure if you continue to like this show she will get use to it in time. It really is not that big of a deal what you like to watch on television. Good luck I hope everything works out for you!

She just doesn't understand.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is actually an amazing show.

She's a nonbeliever.

Tell her to try watching it.

I never understood bronies. But she only knows those shows as kids shows, so don't bother making her understand.

Do these people actually like the show? I thought the whole thing was just a joke to tease some 4chan poster a while ago.