Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Netherlands · 8 years ago

are tourists gettin banned from smoking weed in coffee shops in amsterdam?

my mate told me that tourists are gettin banned from coffee shops, im going in August so i was wondering if ill be able to go in the cafes and have a smoke ?

Favorite Answer

There is a law that makes coffee shops, selling weed, members only and only local residents can become members, with a limit on the number of members per coffee shop.

But the law is not active in Amsterdam yet, it is planned to start 1-1-2013. There are parts of the Netherlands where the law is active, but those are far from Amsterdam.

So, yes, you will still be able to get a smoke, although I do not know why you would waste your time in Amsterdam on it, as it is as legal as it is at home, illegal.

Weed will still be legal for tourists in 2012, it is 2013 when it is going to be banned. It is banned right now in the southern provinces of Netherlands.

Source(s): Im going to Amsterdam in July and when I heard this I didnt sleep untill I found the answer

That is correct. A law was passed banning the sale of weed to tourists. To buy now you must be a resident and present proof that you are a resident (an ID card).

This has been challenged in court, but the law was upheld.

Not yet in Amsterdam it's still allowed at the time of your visit.