Find the range of values of k for which the line y=kx+9=0 does not intersect the curve y=x²-2x?

Find the range of values of k for which the line y=kx+9=0 does not intersect the curve y=x²-2x

Is there anything wrong with this question? I cannot seem to solve it.

Update:

I found it very weird too, why is an equation, y=kx+9=0 given instead of an expression. This question appeared in my Math exam for the first question!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

yes, there's something wrong with this question. y = kx + 9 = 0 just does not make sense. If you meant y = kx + 9, then there is no k value such that y = kx + 9 does not intersect y = x^2 - 2x

• iceman
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

y = x^2 - 2x => the parabola, vertex at(1 , -1) , the domain is all the real numbers, but the range is limited by y value since the global minimum is at y = -1, the the range is:

y ≥ -1

Now, for the line y = kx + 9 not to intersect with the parabola y must be less tha -1 or

kx + 9 < -1

kx < -10

k < -10/x

• 8 years ago

y=x^2-2x is a kind of parable coming from + values of y when x is -. It goes throgh 0 when x=0.

Then it is going down until x=1 and start growing.(dy/dx=0 at x=1)

it is negative from x=0 until x=2, minimum point (1,-1)

Therefore kx+9 must pass under (1,-1) and becase this line cross y-axis at +9 this is a hopeless problem to solve.

• 8 years ago

any value of 'k' will do the job i.e, there is no value of 'k' for the line to intersect the given curve

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.