How do you make a story not boring when the main character/narrator goes to school everyday?

I'm writing a story, and my character/narrator goes to school everyday. How do I keep the story fresh when she's in the same place every day? I don't really want to write about every class hour she has..

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

If you think about it, most books with characters who go to school every day don't focus much on the classes. They're more about the interactions between the main character and others in the school. You can set those scenes of interaction in different classes and sometimes use the classes to move the plot along or provide a sub-plot or give the characters something to do while they are interacting.

If you've read Twilight, whether you're a fan or not, think how the story takes place with Bella and Edward in school almost every day. Bella has English and then it's lunchtime and she sees the Cullens for the first time. She's in Biology and they're doing a lab on cell division. Who really cares about mitosis? But the scene is hot because of the interplay between Bella and Edward. She holds her own against him (in identifying the phases of mitosis). They talk just a bit and some odd things happen between them.

Think about what you say when you tell your friends something that happened at school. Maybe there's a cute new boy in your class. You talk about HIM, not the class, although you might mention how he handled a question or what he said to you about a homework assignment, but you don't really dwell on the class in detail.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You skip the writing in those scenes. But still manage to show that school has an impact on your characters plot or lifestyle. Briefly describe what her school is like and incorporate that into a general sense that when she goes to school that's pretty much what happens. The school should have some sort of significance on the plot otherwise its useless information.

Source(s): I write my own stories and film some of them.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The only thing that can limit you is your own imagination. Why does your narrator have to go to a human school? Look at Hogwarts for example. If you're not into magic then why can your narrator not be involved in a mass murder on school grounds or create several confusing love triangles (hopeless romantics always love this).

• 8 years ago

You simply don't write about the boring bits.

I'm sure Bella ate breakfast everyday before school in Twilight, but Meyers didn't dwell on that. Hamlet had to spend time picking out his clothes for the day, but Shakespeare didn't describe that.

You only tell us the parts of her day that have to do with the plot of the story or that set necessary scene, mood, background, or context. Everything else that's not part of the actual story...isn't part of the actual story.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

How does the conflict tie into school? Good stories focus entirely around the conflict and character development, with some imagery and description here and there, so only write about the parts at school where one of these occur. In fact, you should only be writing with one of those in mind at any part in the story :)

• Talia
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Just remember that novels are not like real life. Everything that happens happens for a reason. If an event or dialogue does not advance the plot, then it should be cut.

Remember that everything that happens must happen to reach a certain end so as long as you have a goal with every action she makes, the content will be fresh.

• 8 years ago

Write about her thoughts and what she does after school and maybe interactions say with a cute guy or something. You might have to change your story if you think you can't write about going to school...

• Liam
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

You could put her in a situation where she hears a private conversation, or sees someone doing something they shouldn't. And then turn the novel into an epic tale of humanity's struggle revolving around the students and their newfound abilities. Or something like that.

• Thomas
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Let her be a male undercover each work day killing one teacher, torturing and enslaving one cheerleader and raping one cleaning woman. Everything only because his mother one time in his life said: "I would have preferred to have a daughter".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.