Washing my newly tie-dyed shirt? help.?

This is my first time tie-dying and I loved it, but I don't know what to do now. I let my sit with the rubber bands for two days in front of a fan, then open for two days in front of a fan. (I know you usually let them sit for 24 hours but my friend's faded and bleed and made hers look funny when she rinsed it.) it's all dry and it looks great, but I'm scared to rinse or wash it. What's the best way to make sure the colors don't bleed into the rest of the fabric and to keep the dye bright. Black, blue, and pink are the colors I used.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Use cold water.

Some laundry company makes a sheet that you can throw in to absorb the dye so it doesn't run and settle on clothing. I would try that as well.

• 5 years ago

First rinse it in cold water to remove some of the dye. You'll know when to stop when the water is clear. Then let it air dry. Afterwards wash in on a washing machine with detergent and hot water (140 degrees is hot enough) then put it in the dryer on tumble wash. It's okay to wash/dry more than one shirt at once.

• 8 years ago

When washing any tye dye I use cold salt water. Always seemed to work for me.

I also did it anytime I bought anything that was tye dyed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.