No stores have a door lock/handle set which fits?

Our front-door handle is so worn out, such that one cannot open the door anymore.

Without the handle, the 'CTC' {center-to-center} distance between the 2 bore holes

is exactly 8.0 inches; yet all the major hardware stores have only 8.5-inch handles

(or some other handles whose measurements are not-at-all adaptable for our door).

I've scoured the internet and even visited sites like 'Schlage', but the specifications

for ALL their lock/handle sets don't say anything about the "sizes" of their handles.

It seems our only option for now is hiring a locksmith, who'll bore another hole and

install everything for a whopping $450.  Surely there must be a better/cheaper way.

6 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Apparently you didn't look at the Schlage website very well. They have a live technician there to answer any questions on products they carry, problems you may have. They are on Live Chat Monday/Saturday 7:00am - 7:00pm central standard time. .

    To my your lock looks like it might be a Schlage Lock, but have you also looked at the computer for Harlock Locks? Weiser Locks? Those were very popular in the time your door-lock looks like it was made,although the one with the 2" hole size is a Schlage for sure.

    If all else fails, they do sell back plates that hides existing holes. You could also use a Brass Push Plate and drill a hole to accommodate a new door handle while hiding the existing one. That would be easy to do unless you have no tools. If not maybe a neighbor can loan you a drill, and it would be less expensive to buy a single bit, or hole saw than it would to buy a door lock installation kit. That's where they make their money...Tie in Sales.

    Source(s): Thirty Five Years Hardware/Tools/Paint Store Manager and Locksmith
  • 9 years ago

    There is a cheaper way! Do it yourself or hire a Handyperson.

    It's not that tough to install most door locks.

    The hole at the top, where the lock mechanism goes, looks a little smaller

    than the standard 2 3/8"-2 3/4" hole.

    The lower hole is just to attach the bottom part of the handle to the door.

    So, a new hole will have to be drilled to attach the bottom of the handle,

    and the hole at the top will need to be enlarged.

    Most hardware stores and home centers sell "lock installation kits" which have drill bits and guides. Instructions are included. A powered drill will also be needed.

    All told, about $60 (for the kit and a good "cheap" drill), and 3 or 4 hours, including shopping time.

  • Den B7
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You could replace the entire door for less than $450.

    More options:

    - the lower hole looks like it is a bolt hole for the lower part of the handle. Plug the hole with a dowel, then chisel the exterior surfaces slightly and cut a patch (try to match the grain) and glue the patches in place. When the glue is dry, (belt) sand the surface until flush. Then drill a new hole.

    - easiest fix... a cover plate (suggested by another answer)

    - replace the door slab and fit a new slab into the existing jamb

    - door replacement insert (Stanley makes them) which fits into an existing opening sort of like a replacement window

    - most expensive option... buy a new house! ;-)

    Hey Steve!

  • 6 years ago

    You can go to Lowe's they have great door lock/handle sets. If you can please answer my question about a computer problem I am having that would be great.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    Its very simple, cheaper way will not satisfy your requirements and will give a bad look so you have to see the locksmith.

    Source(s): its all my experience.
  • 9 years ago

    You can use rfid door lock find from

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.