CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS MATH PROBLEM?

John and Marcia took her two kids to the county fair. They first spent 1/6 of their money on adult admission tickets, and then $6.50 on the two child's tickets. They spent 3/8 of their remaining money on ride tickets. Then they spent $4.00 each on lunch. They spent 1/5 of their remaining money on a T-shirt for John. Marcia wanted a T-shirt too, so they bought another one for the same price. Then one kid found a quarter and the other one found a dime. They each gave the money to their mom, whereupon John and Marcia each gave each child a dollar. John and Marcia then spent 2/5 of their remaining money on ice cream sundaes. When they left the fair, they had to pay their parking tab, which amounted to $1.50 an hour. They had been there for seven hours. When they got to Marcia's house, John and Marcia had $3.15 left between them. How much money did they spend at the fair?

MY DAUGHTER AND I ARE STUCK PLEASE HELP US EXPLANATION WOULD BE GREAT!

Update:

i need the answer please I'm trying to help my daughter and its due tomorrow

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can work this one backwards. Notice though that they're asking for the total amount of money SPENT, not what they originally had. So once we get the original amount, we need to subtract $3.15, the amount they didn't spend. The parking was 7 * 1.50 = $10.50, so before that they had $13.65. This is what they had after spending 2/5 of their previous amount on ice cream, so $13.65 must be 3/5 of the amount they had. This means they had 13.65 * (5/3) = $22.75. Keep working backwards to get to the original amount

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.