e coli urinary tract infection in baby contagious?

my sisters baby is hospitalized currently for aving a high fever of 106.0.her baby has been coughing and has discharge comming from her nose (clear discharge) they ran tests and found out she has a bacterial infection (e coli) in her urinary tract. is this contagious? i have 2 children of my own and ever scince my sister left with her baby my son has had a mucsus like cough no fever and discharge comming out of his nose. at first the discharge was just clear now seems to be changing to a green color. he also woke up this morning with his eye gooped shut. ive been giving him tylonel beings there is not really any thing you can give to a 1 in a half yr old and this is still going on with him... im wondering could thi is just a cold or if its the start of what my neice is hospitalized for.. any help is needed thanks! ps i have a dr appt for later but i just wanted to get some hints as to what is going on with my lil guy!

"my sisters baby is hospitalized currently for aving a high fever of 106.0.her baby has been coughing and has discharge comming from her nose (clear discharge) they ran tests and found out she has a bacterial infection (e coli) in her urinary tract." -- This child has more going on than a UTI.

"is this contagious?" -- The UTI cannot be transmitted to others. This is, after all, an infant. But cough and nasal discharge are symptoms of a respiratory infection, which may be contagious. I hope that E. coli hasn't gotten into her respiratory tract. As far as the baby having an E. coli UTI, it's no big surprise that it's an E. coli infection. E. coli is in the intestinal tract, is passed in stool and is found on the skin in and around the anus. This infant may have been wiped from back to front after a bowel movement and the bacteria was transferred to her urethra.

"...and ever scince my sister left with her baby my son has had a mucsus like cough no fever and discharge comming out of his nose. at first the discharge was just clear now seems to be changing to a green color." -- Whatever organism has caused the baby's problems (cough & discharge) may be the same pathogen that's causing your son's issues. The color of the discharge isn't always an indicator of bacteria or viruses. Both can cause green-yellow discharge. Some pathogens release a green color when they die. This would mean your son's immune system is fighting back which is a very good thing. Don't clean him up too much before his appointment - I want his pediatrician to see his symptoms at their "best".

Source(s): I'm a nurse.