Do you think I was being a jerk here?

I just contacted vonage to see about cheaper service. What do you think about the following chat session? (I'm the visitor).

-------------------------------

In order to protect your privacy please do not give out your password or credit card number in a chat conversation.

Justin has joined this session!

Connected with Justin. Your reference number for this chat session is 692598.

Justin: Welcome to Vonage, home of the Vonage World plan!

Justin: Thank you for choosing Vonage! I’m Justin, your Vonage sales agent. Before you start your Vonage order, how can I help you?

Visitor: I'm considering your service, but $25 is more than what I pay for my land line, what's so good about your service?

Justin: If that is too much for you to pay, then let's first make sure you are selecting the right plan for your needs. Do you make any international calls?

Visitor: not at all

Visitor: not even long distance

Justin: Great! Will you need unlimited minutes?

Visitor: I have unlimited minutes, so I guess Yes because I wouldn't like an additional restriction

Justin: Great! The U.S. and Canada Unlimited plan will be great for you. The Vonage US and Canada Unlimited plan offers unlimited local and long distance calling to the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico for only $9.99 a month for the first 3 months, then $24.99 a month thereafter plus taxes/fees. We have also thrown in unlimited Vonage Visual Voicemail as well as over 20 other features free!

Justin: Now that we know which plan best fits your needs, if you provide me with your zip code I will be able to give you an estimated price that includes taxes and fees.

Visitor: "then $24.99 a month thereafter " ! so I save $45 in the switch but pay back the savings within 9 months after switching. What's the point?

Justin: With Vonage you are going to have over 20 free features, as well as great call quality, and 24/7 customer care. Keep in mind you do have a 30 day money back guarantee! You can cancel with no penalties at all during those first 30 days and receive a refund of your costs paid at sign up. So, you really don't have anything to lose to try Vonage out.

Visitor: Well, I'd argue that I do have something to lose: time. I already have great quality call with my AT&T land line, and I have all the "free features" I need.

Visitor: I hear you call quality is better than the Magic Jack. But the price gap is huge.

Visitor: ... I tell you what

Visitor: I'd consider switching if you give me a $10/mo plan with unlimited calls and without a contract. Can you do that for me?

Justin: I apologize, but I am unable to do that. It will be $9.99 a month for the first 3 months, and then $24.99 a month after that when you sign up with a 1 year contract.

Visitor: Well, thanks for your time. I'm being plain honest here and that's what makes this interaction short and to the point. Good day.

The session has ended!

-------------------------------------------

I do consider that I didn't make it easy for Jason...

What do you think?

My bad, Justin...

Favorite Answer

Jason? I thought it was Justin. Maybe you did not pay attention. Still he was not that good a sales pitch.

hmm..24.99 thereafter versus a 10/mo w/o contract which is not possible according to justin...well i say just stick to your present provider.