What's more difficult to ride? A heavy bike or a light bike with a heavy person?

This is similar to a physics question but is it more difficult to ride a really heavy motorbike or a light motorbike with a heavy person sitting behind?

If i can ride the latter, does that mean I can ride the former?

Say if i can ride a moped with my friend sitting behind with a combined weight of 185 kg. Does that mean I'll be capable, or more comfortable with riding a motorbike that weighs 185 kg itself?

Please resolve my confusion.

Thank you :)

Favorite Answer

I would say that it would be much easier to ride a heavy bike over a light one with a heavy passenger. With a heavy bike, everything is connected to that one bike, so though it may be heavy, everything will lean the same direction at the same time, making it easier to turn. A person however, particularly one that has never ridden on a motorcycle before, can make it considerably more difficult. Their weight will throw off the natural balance of the bike, and cornering can be much more difficult if they do not lean properly. Not to say that it can't be done, because plenty of people due, it just takes experience and a passenger who knows what they're doing.

Source(s): rider and owner of several motorcycles
  • mn

ABILITY..of the rider is the only difference between riding a heavy bike & a light one.. practice on the light one... if you get that right the step to the heavy one only needs a few minor changes..

a bike regardless of its weight balances on the wheels.. & when stopped or traveling slowly the weight of the big bike is an issue because you have to physically hold the weight every time the bike is slightly off balance..

once your moving at more than 10 MPH there is no difference to the amount of input to steer the bike so they become the same... although braking distances on a heavy bike can be further so you need to make some small allowances.

My wife and I used to ride two-up on an old Suzuki GN400. Together, we were heavier than the bike. Not enough horsepower. Not enough wheelbase. Good enough for short rides. Think the longest ride was around 50 miles. It was fun, I suppose, but it was more fun when we bought a Suzuki Boulevard.

Now, she can ride all day. She's not right on top of me anymore. We took a 1500 mile ride around Vermont and upstate New York last fall.

You won't feel the weight of the bike so much, when it's moving. Go for the bigger motorcycle.

Source(s): Lots of motorcycle riding over the years.

an heavy man can ride heavy bike easily because it balances him good and a light bike can loose balance so its easy to control heavy bike