What Are Some Of The States Where There Are No Property Taxes?

Well, I was watching a show on HGTV one night (a few years ago), and they mentioned a few states where people can reside with no property taxes. Do you know of any, because I forgot which ones were mentioned? Thank you so much.

I think I should have worded it where I meant "cities" instead of "states." Sorry about that.

Favorite Answer

"Additional Details

I think I should have worded it where I meant "cities" instead of "states." Sorry about that."

There are two typesof property; real and personal.

Real property is land and the buildings upon it. Personal property is the furnishings and other stuff we humans possess.

Real Estate tax is regulated on the state level, not the municipality, though it benefits the municipality. Personal property tax is strictly local.

• Bobbie

Property Taxes

Taxes on land and the buildings on it are the biggest source of revenue for local governments. They are not imposed by states but by the tens of thousands of cities, townships, counties, school districts and other assessing jurisdictions.

The state’s role is to specify the maximum rate on the market value of the property, or a percentage of it, as the legal standard for the local assessors to follow. The local assessor determines the value to be taxed. You can’t escape property taxes in any state. But you can find significantly low rates in certain parts of the country.

Tax Burden By State

If all other things are equal, a state with a lower burden is a more attractive place to retire than a state with a higher one. To get a true sense of which state is less expensive, you need to look at state and local tax burdens. Only then do the low tax states stand out.

For more information about the tax burden in each state, click here.

http://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 05/09/2012

All 50 states have listed rates of property tax. It is highly unlikely any state could genuinely have no tax as it is the primary source of revenue for a state just as income tax is the primary source of revenue for the federal government.

Just imagine if there was no tax. No government, no government buildings, no government employees, roads and highways left to deteriorate, no government vehicles

• tro

just because HGTV mentioned no property taxes in some states doesn't mean it is valid

for a county to function and provide services it needs to assess a tax on anything they can, namely property and if you find areas where there is no service provided that might be one without property tax

The only locales in the US with no real property taxes are a few remote locations in Alaska. Mostly those places are only accessible by dog sled or air and most are only occupied by native Inuit people.

• Judy

None. There are some places where property rebates or abatements are available to certain people who qualify. In PA for example, there's a rebate for low income seniors or disabled people, and I've seen situations where people get their entire tax rebated (limit is $650 so usually something like a mobile home to get it all back).