Have you ever driven to the south of France, Languedoc ?

We are driving down to the south of France for our summer holiday this year and are unsure of the best route to take. I have booked a hotel for an overnight stay on the A71 near Bourges but can't decide on the best route to get there. We have been warned to avoid Paris so from Calais we plan to head toward... show more We are driving down to the south of France for our summer holiday this year and are unsure of the best route to take. I have booked a hotel for an overnight stay on the A71 near Bourges but can't decide on the best route to get there.

We have been warned to avoid Paris so from Calais we plan to head toward Rouen where we have to choose between staying on the faster motorway towards Le Mans / Tours / Vierzon to join the A71 or from Rouen cutting down towards Evreux / Dreux / Chatres to join the A10 north of Orleans and then the A71.

If anyone has done this journey before please can you share your experience and recommend the best route to take?

I am aware that the Mitchellin site is very good at planning routes but it does not tell me which is the best to drive. Thank you for taking the time to read this.