Have you ever driven to the south of France, Languedoc ?

We are driving down to the south of France for our summer holiday this year and are unsure of the best route to take. I have booked a hotel for an overnight stay on the A71 near Bourges but can't decide on the best route to get there.

We have been warned to avoid Paris so from Calais we plan to head toward Rouen where we have to choose between staying on the faster motorway towards Le Mans / Tours / Vierzon to join the A71 or from Rouen cutting down towards Evreux / Dreux / Chatres to join the A10 north of Orleans and then the A71.

If anyone has done this journey before please can you share your experience and recommend the best route to take?

I am aware that the Mitchellin site is very good at planning routes but it does not tell me which is the best to drive. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello

Evreux / Dreux / Chartres is definitely the good choice, less kilometers, faster and less expensive than Le Mans / Tours / Vierzon (which will take at least 1h more).

From Rouen, reaching Evreux and Dreux is a piece of cake... it's the road is easy (2x2 lane highway), you can drive at 110 km/h, and there isn't a lot of traffic even in summer week end.

After Dreux it becomes a 2 ways road, straight but there is a speed limitation at 90km/h... But it's only 20 km before joining the A10 near Allaines.

on Saturdays, there are often traffic jams on A9 between Montpellier and Perpignan... Check the official website http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accu... for real time infos... don't hesitate to make a stop after the Milliau bridge if the A9 is already overcrowded. The area is nice, so enjoy a quick pause (why not leave the highway and discovering some nice "village étape"... nice villages in the surrounding of highways which offers food, restaurant and gas at a better price...) it's better than to stay hours in an overheated car on the A9 highway ;))

Have a nice stay in our country... I hope you will enjoy it...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Cabal
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It all depends where you are going. If you are going to Toulouse take the A71, if you are going to Perpignan and area take the A75. You don't need the additional kms at the end of a long trip especially in summer when the traffic is very heavy.

Personnally I found the A75 better as we found a lighter traffic than on the A71 but you have plenty of mountain motorway. And you cross the Millau bridge.

Source(s): French
  • deming
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

You cant beat the British for the greater serious ever making use of. highway code ? in no way heard of it ! making use of on the left ? For foreigners in line with possibility ! And a hell of lots greater like that. in case you drove in France the way youchronic over right here, i'm no longer shocked which you had a F...cking nightmare. So, confident it rather is YOU ! playstation : Mid final twelve months, a Police and insurance survey grow to be revealed approximately making use of conduct in the time of Europe. The Brits got here on suited for being the very worse ever drivers, overtaking the 2nd worse (ex-Yugoslavians) by skill of a minimum of 40 two% !!!! that would desire to grant you a clue !

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.