Possible TPS problem with my Grand Prix?

Hello,

I have had this problem for a little while now. I replaced my TPS and IAC about a half a year ago. My car has started to run at a really high idle everytime I start it up, the RPMs go to about 4000. The only way i can get it to stop doing it is to shut the car off, turn the key on and off a couple times and then the car seems to idle normal for a while. I have also noticed that the car will idle just fine, then I hear a click noise and the cars idle shoots up to 4000 RPM and stays there. I am guessing it is the TPS and may need to be adjusted since I never had it adjusted when I replaced it? Also, the RPM guage is starting to stick everytime I turn the car off (this has never happend before). Any thoughts on this?

It is a 2003 Grand Pre SE with 115000 miles

Favorite Answer

If the TPS is adjustable, maybe it does have an adjustment problem.

But even in the 80's GM had the TPS set up in many applications to "reset" itself every time the vehicle was started (IE, with no throttle before startup, it knew that it was in the closed or "0" throttle position) so adjustment was unnecessary.

I'd be looking for vacuum leaks around the IAC too.

I'd say yes, calibrate that TPS. Some cars you can do it by holding the pedal down and then turning the key to on, then after 30 secs or so release the pedal. Your mileage may vary though.

Beyond that you might have an idle or engine speed sensor that's flaking out. What year is this Pontiac? How many miles?

ONE OF THESE 2 THINGS WERE NOT INSTALLED RIGHT OR YOU HAVE A VACUUM LEAK SOME WHERE THAT IS CAUSING YOUR SENSORS TO READ THE AIR INTAKE WRONG