? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 years ago

Naturalization working outside of the US?

Have been a US resident for over 4 years, Wife and kids are US citizens, I have been working outside of the US as an Expat for a Canadian/US company, have declared taxes since my first year as US permanent resident in the US. Have been married to my wife for over 13 years. Is there a way that I can apply for naturalization without being physically in the US for 18 months?

Favorite Answer

Pedro,

when it comes to these things, you need to pay attention to the language. The U.S. government doesn't give a rat's behind where you work. You can be an astronaut, working on a space station orbiting Mars, you can be an airline pilot, working the Marakesh--Kuala Lumpur route, you can be a sailor, working on a 300ft yacht in New Guinea . . . what they care about is where you RESIDE.

When Neil Armstrong was walking on the Moon back in 1986, he was working there, but he didn't reside there. So if you work outside the U.S. it's cool with Uncle Sam, as long as you are residing in the U.S.

That means prima facie it doesn't matter where you worked for naturalization purposes. Yet there are two requirement in regard to uninterrupted residency and presence in the United States.

To really answer your question properly, you need to list how many days you were absent from the U.S. in any of those 4 calendar years, and how often you were gone over 6 months, as at the 6-month mark your residency clock stops, but it starts ticking again where it stopped when you returned.

So list those years separately and we'll have a look.

Source(s): The son of a German mother and a Swedish father, I have lived in 6 European countries before immigrating to Southern California two decades ago. I work as a corporate attorney in Santa Barbara and answering questions here is my way of giving back.

No. In fact, if you have been out of the US for 12months without obtaining permission prior to leaving the US, your green card has already been revoked - deemed abandoned. To apply for citizenship in the US, you must not only obtain a green card for 5 years or more, you must actually maintain residence in the US. And you must actually be in the US to apply for naturalization and throughout the naturalization process.

Read the rules regarding continuous residence

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

No, not you. Only employees of the US government, military members and their family members living outside the USA on official government orders can do it.

Nope you cant