asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 8 years ago

How to get body odor out of cotton shirt?

I bought a cute cheap shirt from the thrift store and I didn't notice the armpits had a really bad odor before I bought it. ugh. Anyways, how do I get the odor out? I tried scrubbing the pits with baking soda and hand washing in vinegar but it didnt help :( Should I just throw the shirt out? I know it's thrift store and everything but I really like it.

Oh and it's only one shirt. My other clothes don't have this problem so I really don't want to use a washing machine for one shirt

Best Answer

You can add Arm & Hammer washing powder to your wash along with your regular detergent.

When you need to wash more clothes, use hot water, and add a little bit of Dawn dishsoap, baking soda and vinegar, along with your normal laundry soap. Let the clothes sit in washer to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash normally. That won't harm the other clothes, and you don't waste a whole load for one shirt.

Put it in a washing machine with some detergent and fabric conditioner. That's the best way of getting rid of amy sort of smell - even thrift store smell. Try that before you throw it away. Especially if you really like the shirt!

Good luck.

Put the shirt in a ziploc bag with the entire contents of a box of baking soda. Seal it and let it sit for 3 days. If after 3 days the shirt still stinks, get rid of it.