Should an IQ test be needed to breed...?

Don't answer until you've viewed the following page:

http://acidcow.com/pics/7778-my-parent-is-an-idiot...

Favorite Answer

No, that's impossible to enforce and would severely restrict civil liberties.

I'd like to get on my high horse here and talk about human rights and equal opportunity and all that crap but honestly most of the time I feel good god yes! IQ tests are biased true but if you don't know where to find your own country on a map or cannot list THREE current events that don't have to do with the Kardashians then yes, you should not be permitted to reproduce. Another group of people whom I think should be shot, as student of genetics, are people who KNOW that there is a history of a hereditary disease in their family and that they may or may not be carriers and against ALL advice decide to conceive naturally and lo and behold their children are afflicted, such things are very, very rare mind you but there are cases and that has to be the most overwhelmingly stupid idea in my opinion, (even if nothing goes wrong, it's essentially playing reproductive Russian roulette) worse still when their first child is born afflicted they try for ANOTHER...that's NOT how the law of averages works you assholes!...sorry for the rant...

While in theory the idea is sound, there are a few problems with it that would compel me to say "no."

First, a person's IQ isn't necessarily a reliable way to find their intelligence. There are people with high IQs who act quite stupid, and people with low IQs who act rather smart. An infallible way of determining someone's intelligence hasn't been discovered yet.

Second, just because the parents are smart doesn't mean the kid won't be dumb as a rock.

The South used to have mandatory iq assessments. in addition they had analyzing assessments. yet they did this to dam black people from balloting. There have additionally been regulations asserting which you would be able to only vote in case you very own sources - to dam the undesirable from balloting. while you're an American citizen who's 18 years previous you will desire to have the main appropriate to vote as a results of fact the elected leaders would have some administration over your existence. Admittably this reasons problems. people will vote for somebody if the candidate delivers greater welfare, or has a handsome face. yet only as a results of fact somebody is egocentric or shallow does not advise they might desire to no longer be allowed to vote. You advise workshops to show people with reference to the political structures, however the teachers might only impose their very own political ideals on others.

I think highly effective birth control and surgical sterilization should be more available. Most of the truly horrible parents I know didn't want kids to begin with.....my parents, for example.

Had my mom been able to access birth control, or a tubal, she wouldn't have popped out 4 kids for the streets.

You know, when I was conceived, Birth control was illegal unless you could prove you were married and your husband said it was OK for you to take it. True story.

Source(s): "Finally, in 1965, the Supreme Court case of Griswold v. Connecticut overturned the Comstock Law, ruling that the private use of contraceptives was a constitutional right." http://www-scf.usc.edu/~nicoleg/history.htm

Only it you want to trash most of the human rights agreed upon by the world community.

The Catholic Church teaches that the basic Human Rights are:

• The right to life, from conception to natural death

• The right to live in a united family

• The right to develop oneself in a moral environment

• The right to develop one's intelligence

• The right to seek and know the truth

• The right to share in the work which makes wise use of the earth's resources

• The right to support one's family

• The right to establish a family

• The right to religious freedom

For more information see the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church: http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?r...

With love in Christ.

Sometimes I really do think so. Seeing some of these parents today makes me question WHY were they even allowed to reproduce?

You need a license for everything else, yet any idiot can be a parent.

Yes, licensing, coupled with surgical infertility, will become an inevitable solution to overpopulation in the future. It sounds terrible but frankly it really isn't, it will just allow for the most qualified candidates to raise healthy happy children and for population to remain permanently controlled without the need for plague or extermination.

• No because an IQ test isn't an accurate way to determine someone's overall intelligence. They could be good at things like certain problem solving, or simply good at raising kids. One does not need to be good at math and science to have good social skills.

But you should still get a license though. just not through an IQ test

I have always retorted to this question with the response that IQ is not passed like that, and that it is not intellect.

You have successfully convinced me otherwise.

It is my hugely politically incorrect opinion that it should.

I couldn't look past the first ten. That was deeply depressing, especially the first one, with her snaggly hair and dirty shirt and trashy background.

*cries*

Unfortunately, high intelligence is not enough to make a parent be consistent, clean, and loving.