Barbara asked in PetsBirds · 9 years ago

Why is my canary pulling out her feathers?

My canary's neck is very bald, and I have been feeding her fresh fruits and eggs since I thought it was calcium deficiency. Today I saw her grooming her feathers earlier by her chest area, and now it looks sort of bald. She has been making nests frequently, but she only lays duds since there is no male. Is she trying to pull them out for her nest? I can't seem to find any of her feathers on the bottom of her cage though. Any tips to keep her from doing so? Should I buy her some toys?

Favorite Answer

Have you checked her for any bugs? When any animal is itching to a level of uncomfort they will rip out their fur/feathers (kind of like humans getting frustrated with an annoying itch)

AHH! that is not good! it may either have bugs or it is bored. either way it is not good and can be fatal to you r bird. talk to your vet straight away!