Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Barbara asked in PetsBirds · 9 years ago

Why is my canary pulling out her feathers?

My canary's neck is very bald, and I have been feeding her fresh fruits and eggs since I thought it was calcium deficiency. Today I saw her grooming her feathers earlier by her chest area, and now it looks sort of bald. She has been making nests frequently, but she only lays duds since there is no male. Is she trying to pull them out for her nest? I can't seem to find any of her feathers on the bottom of her cage though. Any tips to keep her from doing so? Should I buy her some toys?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Have you checked her for any bugs? When any animal is itching to a level of uncomfort they will rip out their fur/feathers (kind of like humans getting frustrated with an annoying itch)

• 9 years ago

AHH! that is not good! it may either have bugs or it is bored. either way it is not good and can be fatal to you r bird. talk to your vet straight away!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.