Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can anyone help me with Dimensional Analysis? (Math/Science)?

Is anyone good at dimensional analysis? it is just converting things into another.. well, i'm done with the first 20 problems, but the last 3 are really confusing to me. can anyone help me and show work while they are at it? >.<

1. A typical car manufactured in 1974 weighs 4000 pounds. How many McDonald's Quarter Pounders is this? If the Quarter pounder costs $0.65 in 1974 and the car costs $6,000, then which is cheaper, the car of the car's weight in Quarter Pounders?

2. What is the speed of a car in feet/second that is traveling at 60 miles/hour? <--we havent learned about how to convert this yet.. so i'm confused about it, otherwise i think it would be pretty simple for me..

3. The space shuttle travels at 28,000 mph while orbiting the Earth. How far does the shuttle travel in feet in the blink of an eye?

Blink of an eye= 1/10 of a second

Thank you whoever helps me!! Please do show work!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The space shuttle travels at 28,000 mph while orbiting the Earth. How far does the shuttle travel in feet in the blink of an eye?

Blink of an eye= 1/10 of a second

• bembry
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Dimensional diagnosis is largely the attitude of following the units of your parts as you go by ability of your equation. that is most appropriate in conversion operations - e.g. in case you want to coach 5 seconds into hours you do ( 5s/a million ) * ( 1min/60s ) * ( 1hr/60min ). surely, you want all of your units in those divisions and multiplications to cancel out, except for the only unit you want to finally end up with (therefore, hours). on your second question, you want to look on the units. i am going to easily assume lots of the extra elementary ones as an celebration. m = meters, s = seconds s = ok * a^m * t^n m = ok * ( (m/s^2)^a million ) * ( s^2 ) Combining the stuff on the right section: m = (ok * m * s^2) / (s^2) you may discover that the seconds cancel out contained in the dep., so that you're left with: m = ok * m fixing for ok, you eventually end up with a million. considering the fact that there are not any units right here, you may discover that ok must be a dimensionless consistent! desire that made experience!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.