Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

- Alex - asked in PetsRodents · 9 years ago

How can I get my Gopher to be nicer?

A few months ago, I bought a Richardson's Ground Squirrel (aka Gopher) from a pet show. He will come out of his cage and I can pet him, but he occasionally bites (not hard) and I can't pick him up.

I've tried many different things for him to warm up to me such as feeding him out of my hand, petting him, and having him get used to my scent. I've asked my mom about it (as she is an animal breeder), and she just told me to continue what I am doing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do?

I have owned many rats before him, but since they are different animals (and he was wild caught as a pup), it is harder to get him as friendly as they were.

No troll answers please. c:

• Sapien
    Favorite Answer

In my opinion, it's unethical to capture wild-born animals to keep as pets. Frankly because they are not.

They have raging instincts that captive-born animals lack. These intrincts tell them to live their life a certain way, live in colonies, find mates and reproduce, avoid other animals (like people), forage for food, burrow, etc. I'm sure you are doing the best you can, but you are trying to change something very stubborn to be a certain way. It's probable a wild-caught animal will never tame, even if it were caught as a pup. It's also a shame that it's too late to return him to the wild. You will just have to keep doing whatever you are doing, but provide enough distance.

This is not a pet, but a wild animal. You need to respect that. Neutrering may help calm nerves, if you haven't already done so.