Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How much does it cost to live in LA?

In the future id like to move to LA, presumably in the wealthy area. Just wondering how much a house there would cost and how much per year to live there with bills, food etc.. Thanks

Favorite Answer

I Used to Live in L.A. for Nearly 2 Years Before She Bleed Me Dry

Its Awfully Expensive, Though I Do Plan on Returning Back

My Expenses Were as Follows

(Keep in Mind I Lived on North Bronson Avenue, Los Angeles 90028) a.k.a. (Hollywood)

Rent = $1498

Electric = $110

Television = $48

Water & Trash = every 3 months, $240

Average Food Cost = $290

Average Entertainment Budget = $100

Tobacco = (only if you smoke-dont count this if you dont) $100

Gasoline for Transportation = $240

Auto Insurance = $250 (because I was ages 17-18 at the Time and of Course a Guy)

Micelanious Stand-By Budget = $50

By The End of The Month That Was a Total of $2,686 and Every 3 Months $2,926

It Is Not Easy Even Finding a Job in Los Angeles That Pays That Well

I Lived 20 Miles (about) Away From U.S. Bank Tower Where I Worked in Downtown L.A.

L.A. is the Place of Dreams, Its Worth Living in L.A. But It Will Surely Cost You BIG TIME

Good Luck

If you want to live what appears to be a middle to upper middle class life, ok to nice starter house in a decent area, ok to nice car, etc, you will need an income of $150k, but actually closer to $300k if you have a family. An ok starter house in an ok to nice area starts at $600k, but really more like $800k. On the Westside it's more like $1 million, in a desirable area, $1.2+ million. Taxes and mandatory deductions take about half at those income levels.

If you want to live in a wealthy area, like North of Montana Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, areas of Pasadena, La Canada-Flintridge, San Marino, you're looking at $1.5 to $2 million for a nice home, something just a bit above a starter home, and you'd need an income of $400,000+, low debt, nice down payment, and great credit. you'd still have o watch your budget.

$100,000 income gets you a nice apartment life, you'd still have to watch your budget.

Good luck!

5000 to 6000 a month

• John

Depends on which part.