Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Coming up with character flaws?

I am planning on writing a story about an fictional acting couple who have starred together in almost all of their films. They are retiring in their old age and are recounting their personal lives for one of their last interviews. I am fairly satisfied with how the male character is coming along, because he's got a definite personality and several flaws that have negative consequences (starts out as extremely shy, self-consious, passive, afraid to speak up, etc. Some of these flaws he overcomes, but many stay with him). But as for the female character, I'm not so sure. I have her down as an all around nice person who helps people and gives moral support (she helps said male character to open up and be more outgoing), but I'm having trouble coming up with any significant flaws for her. I know that since she's an actress that becomes pretty famous and well-loved over time, there are many opportunities for a flaw to create conflict somewhere. But still, I just can't think of anything!

Whatever flaws she may have, I don't want this character to be particularly mean to anyone for no reason at all. I'm also trying to think of a situation where a flaw would have a significant negative impact, whether it affects her portrayal in the media or in her relationship with her partner, such as something that might start an argument between them.

So if anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know. I feel kinda bad having to ask other people for ideas, but if it helps, then that's okay. Thanks in advance!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

The characters are who they are; you shouldn't have to think one by one of their flaws. Write along as you go, and get into the feel of the story, and find the things that would mostly fit their personality. Also, being overly shy doesn't have to be particularly a flaw; sometimes, that's just people's personalities and that's it.

Thinks she's always right/smarter than everyone else

Homophobic/Racist

Eating disorder

Needs to always be in control

Procrastinates constantly, even when she knows it has led to negative consequences in the past

Tends to be a bit patronizing

Stingy

• ?

Write naturally, and make the female as realistic as possible. Any person on this planet will have flaws, so if you keep that in mind, you'll realize that she's already flawed. Trust me!

— Andrew

maybe shes addicted to something? like gambling or drinking?

or maybe shes not educated, or has dyslexia so she has trouble reading her scripys?

or she could be a carer for a relative and is uncomfortable leaving them..

maybe she's so kind she's quick to judge people who are actually scaming her or something.

maybe she hates kids.

maybe she is a spender instead of a saver.

maybe she's oldfashioned or a bit prejudice.

I think that her flaw should be that, whenever she touches water, she turns into a mermaid! :D

Source(s): That would be bomb.