Did mock teen dui accident go overboard?

My daughter volunteered to participate in her high school's drinking and driving mock accident demonstration. She played the part of the uninjured drunk driver who caused the accident, and was arrested and booked into the county jail. She spent the night there, and was interviewed for the school's newspaper describing what it was like to be incarcerated. The officers told her that she would be treated just like any other inmate, but she was excited about doing it. However, my daughter had to completely undress and put on only a paper gown. She had expected that she would probably have to undress and change into a jumpsuit, but not told to strip naked and given only a tiny and flimsy paper gown to wear (no underwear or bra) for the entire time that she was there. It was done as a suicide precaution as is sometimes taken for those who are intoxicated and have been responsible for injuring or killing someone - esp. a close friend. The idea being that once person sobers up to the reality/magnitude of their situation, they may begin to have suicidal thoughts. Of course I understand the logic, but don’t feel that it was necessary for them to have done this to my daughter. She was not told of this detail beforehand, and I feel the point would have been made just as effectively with the regular inmate clothing. When I went to visit her at the jail (part of the filmed documentary) I was shocked to see her wearing it. She had to tug at it when she walked and sat down, and was embarrassed to have to wear it around everyone at the jail. I don't have any problem with the program overall, and I'm grateful and appreciative of all the time and effort put into it. It's just my daughter being naked with only paper gown that upsets me.

I condensed this down from its longer length.

• Hannah
    Favorite Answer

No, but I think they should have made it absolutely clear to her what she should have expected. If she had known that she would have to do that then she could have opted not to do it if she didn't feel comfortable.

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database - http://criminalrecords.raiwi.com/?wGiv

I think the biggest mistake here was the school/police not letting the parents know what to expect for the child. I don't think this was overboard. It was just one further discomfort involved with being a drunk driver. If anything, it should be a further deterrent.

If someone who was really a drunk driver and had killed someone was made to wear a paper gown and nothing else, no one would have any sympathy whatsoever for her.

Even on suicide watch I believe they have an obligation to provide a female inmate with some form of underwear.

Nope. I doubt your daughter will ever want to drink and drive.