Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelItalyOther - Italy · 9 years ago

Where to go and what to see in Italy?

My husband and I are booking a trip to Italy next month. I have had some mixed reviews on where to visit and stay. We only have 8 days (because thats all his work allows). We dont have a lot of time so we might only really get to do 3 big cities. One source said skip Rome and land in Milan (large airport) and do Florence, Tuscany, Venice, etc. Other said do the opposite. Fly into Rome and axe Milan (but still do Florence, Tuscany,etc). Kinda confused now. Any suggestion, reviews, or warnings??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ANGY
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what you like the most.

If this would be the first time in Italy then you should start with Rome and just stay in Rome for 8 days. It would be barely enough to see the city. You should start with Rome because here is where you have 70% of the cultural assets of the country. It is the capital of the country and it is where everything started. Once you have better understood Rome, the rest would be easier to understand.

If you don't want to stay in Rome for one week, then you should avoid Rome completely. Going to Rome for just three days would make you just unsatisfied. You would run all the time trying to see everything and would miss the best of it.

If you want to skip Rome then you should decide if you prefer to go North, Center or South.

Here is what you could do in 8 days, if you skip Rome:

A. CENTER: Go to Florence, spend 4 days there visiting the city, then rent a car and visit one day Pisa, one day Siena, one day San Gimignano and one day the Chianti area.

B. CENTER: Go one week in the region Marche near the sea (Senigallia, Porto Recanati, Civitanova Marche, Porto S. Giorgio), spend your mornings on the beach and use the late afternoon and evenings to tour the medieval cities in the inland (Loreto, Recanati, S. Severino Marche, Fermo etc)

C. SOUTH: Go to Naples 3 days and then rent a car and spend the rest along the coast (Capri, Amalfi etc.) and spend one day in Pompei.

D. SOUTH: Go to Sicily. Rent a place in Siracusa. Spend your mornings on the beach and the late afternoon to tour the city and the rest of Sicily (Catania, Taormina, Etna Volcano etc.)

E. NORTH: Go to Milan and spend 3 days to tour the city and then visit Brescia, Como and the cities around the lake of Como.

F. NORTH: Go to Venice, spend three days to visit Venice. Then rent a car and visit Verona, Padova, Mantova and the Garda lake.

I believe that the main problem on your original idea depends on the wrong estimation of distances and time needed to tour a certain city. In example to go from Rome to Milan would take 7 hours driving. To go from Milan to Venice it takes 4 hours driving. To go from Venice to Florence it takes 8 hours driving.

If you have just 8 days, you should optimize the time you have to get the best out of the trip.

To make your own mind regarding the places I have described above, you can have a look at this website: http://www.apartmentforrentitaly.com/

In addition to apartments rentals (which is a good alternative to hotels) this site has a concise description of all Italian regions with photos so you can make your own mind about it.

For Rome, look under Latium. For Florence, look under Tuscany. For the region Marche, look under Marche. For Naples look under Campania. For Sicily look under Sicily. For Milan, look under Lombardy. For Venice, look under Veneto.

Hope this helped.

Source(s): I'm Italian and toured all the cities I mentioned.
  • 9 years ago

It really depends on your specific interests. There are interesting things to see and do in all of these places. If it were my trip, I would not skip Rome - it has the most to see of the cities with the ancient Roman attractions, the fountains & piazzas, the Vatican, ... It's also only 1 hr 35 min from Florence on the fast trains. I'd fly into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa and spend three or 4 days in Rome and split the remaining time between Florence and Venice. Or you could split the time between Rome and Florence and include some day trips (e.g., from Rome - Tivoli, Pompeii or Orvieto); from Florence - Pisa & Lucca, Siena or San Gimignano). You can travel between the cities easily using the trains: http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html Between Rome and Venice, there's a night train option which would allow you to sleep on the train while you travel and maximize the available sightseeing time if that fit into your plans.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Italy is very beautiful. And there are many reasons. In no other country you can go for a hike in the Apennini mountains in the morning, and take a dip in the mediterranian in the evening. You can go skiing in the Alps or hiking in the beautiful forests. Nature has given much to that country. It also has a culture to be envied. Almost every city has something beautiful to see, from churches to mosaics to fountains and statues. Rome is one big museum, you can't walk down the street without seeing roman fountains, gorgeous statues or a beautiful church. And the same goes for many, many cities. On top of that the people are very warm and friendly. It varies from south to north, of course, but most everyone you find will be welcoming. And the cuisine! In the south you'll find the most seafood you've probably ever eaten. Ever had spaghetti and octopus? In the north there will be lots of meat, mushrooms, and more different types of pasta you ever imagined existed. And anywhere you go, the best pizza and ice cream in the world! I absolutely love Italy, and if possible, anyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Rome-Florence- Milano-Venice

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It's all good. Just pick the two places you're most curious about and go there. And get a good tourist travel guide book for both places, you won't regret it.

Don't drive. Italians are LOVELY, but total nutters behind the wheel of a car, so you don't want to get caught in that. Take the train, enjoy the two cities you pick.

• 9 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.