Raphael Roffel asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Flea collar on puppy?

I got a flea collar for my puppy, the box says not for puppies under 6 weeks. My pup is 6 weeks and a couple days. Do you think it would be safe still? Or should I wait maybe another week? It is just barely over 6 weeks I just want to be safe.

Favorite Answer

Using a flea collar even on a 4 week old puppy wouldn't harm them (unless they were able to chew on it, not worth a risk) but in my experience, flea collars are extremely useless.

I'd say give your pup a flea bath, and go get yourself some Frontline or Advantix.

Source(s): Used different flea removal methods

l can assure you all vets now days do not recommend flea collars for puppies or even adult dogs as there are far better things on the Market that are far better like Front line (few drops behind the neck although check on the age of pup re this product as l never use the full strength on 5 month old puppies and you can the same for puppies although it will be called something else in your Country. The reason flea collars are useless is if the pup already has fleas they have laid eggs by now and the collar is useless as the drops will kill the larvae,eggs etc. Puppies are notorious for getting flea collars off,so not ask me how they do it but they do and most people have not used flea collars for many years since Front line,and allied products came onto the Market. Do not take short cuts with fleas as they spread,annoy the puppy or dog and cause loads of problems in the House and in the yard. If you still do not believe most of the people who have answered you ring a good vet and ask and you will get the same comments we have given

I would wait. Your puppy can't go outside yet so has a lesser chance of getting fleas, unless u have other animals with fleas in the house...You can get a Frontline spray which is safer which you ONLY use if your pet as fleas already!! Keeping his bedding clean & giving him a brush through should keep you trouble free until at least he is a bit stronger. The flea collar is impregnated with the flea killing chemical, so he really can't get away from it once it's around his neck!

Fleas like to nest behind the ears and around the nape of the neck ( where it's warm) so giving these areas a comb through, should see you & your pup flea free! :)

Source(s): Lifelong dog owner - have bred puppies.
  • Coley

As far as I am concerned, the only use I have for a flea collar is to put around my ankles when I am out fencing to deter woodticks from crawling up my legs. LOL

They are seriously a waste of money and worthless on dogs. They might keep fleas and ticks away from the dogs neck region but nothing more.

Invest in some Frontline Plus. Highly effective. Once a month treatment and forget about it.

I would not ever put a flea collar on any pet. They are toxic and do not work.

It says for 6 weeks or older so it's meant for the puppy(:

• Cat

No! No! No! Flea collars kill dogs. It goes into their skin and then into their organs. It is poison. Do not put it on any dog ever. Take it back to the store and get your money back please.

No. Flea reppellants are toxic. Google essential oils that repel fleas and ticks.