? asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Small fish that'll eat leftover flakes?

I'm looking for a small community fish/shrimp that will eat leftover flakes to hopefully keep my vacuuming to a minimum.

(36 gallon tank with gravel.)

• PeeTee
    Favorite Answer

Here is a rule of nature,"that which eats, craps ". It's that simple, so you can vacuum food scraps (a sign of overfeeding) or you can siphon out fish crap, it's really all the same. If you put something in an aquarium it remains there until you take it out. It may change form, but the only way it ever leaves the water column is if you take it out.

Try to stop feeding too much, if food scraps are visible there's too much food being dumped into the system, even if you can't see it this is likely to be true. One very small feeding per day is plenty for any fish. Skipping a days feeding once or twice per week is actually good for your fish's health and for aquarium cleanliness.

The minimum vacuuming is once per week when doing a 20% water change. Larger water changes are O.K. for fish, but tend to damage the bacteria colonies, which are actually keeping the fish alive.

Source(s): 60 years of fishkeeping.

Yes. I always eat my restaurant leftovers. Portions they serve in US restaurants are huge. I usually eat only half of what's on my plate, in restaurants. I have the leftovers for lunch the next day. I also hate to see food wasted, in a world where so many still go hungry.

I disagree with most answers to this question, and wonder why you and others don't realize the proper suggestion is to stop overfeeding.

it there's any flakes on the bottom that means you overfed, not just a little, but about 5 times too much food.

So, stop it.

NOTE; some answers here are obviously the same, I am referring to the normal answers people give to this question.

• ?

Catfishes, cherry, and ghost shrimps will fil lthat role, but remember, they too need their own specific sinking foods to be healthy. And if you have leftover flakes, you shouldn't feed som much. And it you're not willing to vacuum it up yourself, think twice about this hobby.

get t ghost shrimp there 33 CENTS each and petsmart usally gets more every wensday and id get a pleco if u dntr already have one to clean the glass

Source(s): have fish tanks

try one of those sucker fishes that have long whiskers and eat allergea

a plecmous!