The YOLO mentality among our youth... Is it a bad thing?

For anyone that doesn't know, it's "You only live once". I don't know what it came from, but I'm TIRED of hearing it everywhere. Yes, you really do only live once, but it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. It's common sense.

What bothers me is that they say that to justify doing something stupid. Is it a bad thing for kids to start having this mentality? I feel like it is.

Favorite Answer

The yolo phrase became popular by rapper drake, But I'm pretty sure the strokes said it first, Anyway, it is bad, Some people do it for small things, Others do say it when they go smoke weed and it's their first time, Girls get pregnant because of it. It's stupid, Ive seen it happen sadly. Others start bad habits because the mentality of it supposedly promotes doing stupid things that'll ruin your life.

Source(s): High school student

It drives me crazy too. Only the only people I hear saying it aren't using it to justify doing anything stupid, so I feel like while SOME kids are going to say it before trying something stupid, not all of them will. And more than likely, the kids that say it before trying something stupid probably would have done that stupid thing regardless.

Mr Ed, I absolutely disagree. You fail to remember that whilst you had been younger, via 18, so much younger females had been married, and via 19 had a youngster. The trouble isn't with the age of the guardian, the trouble is with the permissiveness of the grandparent, who babied the guardian, who handed that right down to the grandchild. I have regularly stated, and can keep to mention: The first time a youngster learns "NO" must no longer be whilst the handcuffs are placed on him! Parents ought to rise up for his or her rights! Children DO ought to be spanked! And any one idiotic ample to think that spanking is youngster abuse has no trade having a youngster. And this doesn't "create" violence, violence is created with the spoiled youngster, who takes what he wishes and not using a result, by no means developing up, breaking the regulation, and in severe instances, killing or being killed.

YOLO is from the song "the motto" by drake ft. Lil wayne. Everybody and they mamma all over are now living up to this motto like its the thing to do. I think it's stupid and i also find it irritating, they over exaggerate the term and do stupid things like drink and use drugs and being like "YOLO" and im done with it.

im a teenager, and it annoys the s**t out of me, but i think it is a good mentality to have (depending on the situation). i have always lived like this and now that this has become a trend it seems as though the kids at my school are more outgoing, but it DOES NOT justify doing something that is illogical.

• Not really. Try something new, don't swear the small stuff. If you mess up, but no one gets hurt, don't worry about it. Smoke a joint, drive to a new state, go to a rave, pop a molly...after all, YOLO

It's a phrase from a song The Motto by Drake.

Ikr! Saying YOLO doesn't make it okay to go out and smoke and drink and be a jerk!