What is a better hockey rivalry, Canada vs USA or Canada vs Russia?

I know recently most people would pick USA, but keep in mind the 70's and 80's and the summit series

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Canada vs Soviet Union.

I guess that carries over to Canada vs Russia.

• knh959
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It used to be Canada vs Russia (yes, I remember the 70s, 80s and the summit series)

Today it's Canada vs USA. National rivalries are driven by who faces who in the Olympics. in this century Canada/USA have been the big matches.

2002 Olympics Gold Medal Game Canada defeats USA

Gold Canada

Silver USA

Bronze Russia

2006 Olympics, Canada, USA and Russia all took this one off. (figuratively0

2010 Olympics Gold Medal Canada defeats USA

Gold Canada

Silver USA

Bronze Finland

Russia down the list somewhere.

There are many exceptionally gifted Russian players (mostly in the NHL) probably more than Americans. However it seems like the Russians just can't put a great team together anymore. The USA with arguably less talent than the Russians always seems to put together teams that are greater than the sum of the parts and play outstanding hockey, especially against Canada.

• Brian
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Russia vs Canada

• 8 years ago

I'll go with Russia, because they were at least at one point in history, as good, or nearly as good.

Both are decent rivalries, but neither is all that great really. The reason being is that Canada is the clear better team than both the Russians or the Americans historically. How can you consider any rivalry all that good, when one team has basically dominated the entire history of the sport? They are the dominant team, so they can really only be compared to themselves of the past, and their rivals are little in comparison.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I say USA and Finland are new rivalry and canada and Russia are new rivalry

• 8 years ago

Canada v Russia

Sweeden v Russia

• 8 years ago

I would say USA vs. Canada because we're neighbors and most of the players in the NHL are Canadian and most of the rest are American.

• 8 years ago

USA. Were neighbors, and we just went into overtime last year in the gold medal game.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

USA

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.