Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

JJ asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 9 years ago

Are there cities within the city of Los Angeles?

I never understood how L.A. works... is it basically just one huge city with smaller cities and towns inside of it? for example, these places like South L.A., East L.A., Compton, Pasadena, Watts, Panorama City, etc... are all these places their own cities or do they belong to Los Angeles itself? and if you lived in one of these places like Compton for example, how would you write it out on your address? would you write it all out like this: Compton, Los Angeles, California? or would it just simply be Compton, California or Los Angeles, California?

or maybe they're not even cities, are they just sections of L.A.? I need someone who is a resident or has been there to answer this. it's very confusing...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is LA County, which has 88 cities in it, including the City of Los Angeles. Pasadena, Glendale, and Compton are cities in LA County. South LA, East LA, Watts, and Panorama City are districts or areas in LA County. For a true city, like Pasadena, one would use Pasadena as their address. For a district, it depends, sometimes the district name is commonly used and that's fine, but using Los Angeles is always ok, like in Hollywood, CA 90028, or LA, CA 90028.

Locals tend to tell people from outside the area that they live in LA, when they live anywhere in LA County.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

No. Los Angeles is a city, Compton is a separate city, Pasadena is a separate city etc. South LA, Watts & Panorama City are all districts of the city of Los Angeles. They are NOT cities in their own right. East LA is an unincorporated area, meaning it is neither a city nor a part of any other city

Here is a map of Los Angeles County with all the incorporated cities in grey and Los Angeles highlighted in red: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thum...

There are 88 cities total in Los Angeles county

A citizen of Compton would write their address: "Compton, Los Angeles, California", but the Los Angeles part represents Los Angeles county NOT Los Angeles city

• Lee
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

You have the County of Los Angeles which is made up of smaller cities including the City of Los Angeles and unincorporated areas (sections of L.A. that are not cities).

http://insidelalife.net/dir/category/moving-to-la/...

• 9 years ago

I think they're considered neighborhoods maybe?...like New York consists of Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers ect.

but IDK since they have their own page on the census bureau.

*I just looked it up and Compton, Pasadena, watts, East L.A....are cities not linked with LA

so the address would probably just be Compton, California.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

the individuals with weapons in l. a. are the criminals. they in simple terms comprehend how use their weapons for force-via's. The animal coyotes (no longer the unlawful alien smugglers) have tailored to people via ingesting the rubbish and pets. With "dinner" being positioned outdoors each and every night to pass capture mice, why circulate to a clean zip code?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i think they're just sections in L.A. im in South L.A and in my address i write Los Angeles, Ca.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.