Can I transfer my drivers license or do I have to start all over?

I have an Arkansas drivers license and I am moving to Oklahoma In a month. Can I just transfer my license to Oklahoma or would I have to take the Oklahoma test from beginning to end??

• J-Dawn
    Favorite Answer

You need your license and proof of residence (rental agreement or something similar) and then just go to the DMV, pay the fee and get a new one. However, you need to get your tag on your car changed right away, too, because you can get a hefty fine if your tag and license aren't from the same state.

Source(s): Licensed in Oklahoma, then changed to Kansas, then changed back to Oklahoma, then changed back to Kansas, then changed back to Oklahoma.
  • ?

I have changed licenses in several different states. For the most part as long as you have a reasonably clear driving record they givve you the written test and as long as you pass that they usually give you a license. My advice is get the handbook as soon as you can and then go dowh a week later after studying the handbook and take the written test pass that and you should get your license renewed to Oklahoma

In most states, if you have a valid license and proper proof of residence, you go into the DMV, surrender your old license, take a vision test, and pay the fee for a new license. You shouldn't have to take the written or driving tests.

• Ken G

Usually if your present license is current all you need to do is apply for the new license in you new state of residence. You probably will need to take the eye test and then have your picture taken so look your best.