Tell me about North Dakota and Oklahoma?

Which are main characteristics of those states?

I don't want articles from Wikipédia, I wanna know your opinion and your knowledge about them.

Don't have fear to speak about your opinion ^^

(sorry by some faults on grammatical, I need to know some cultural things)

Favorite Answer

North Dakota - A major city in ND has a population of 25,000... Which anywhere else is considered small.

There are 10 guys per girl ratio there...

It's always windy, either going from south to north or north to south...

It's freezing in the winter...

I had a window busted out in Bismark and had to travel to Fargo, like a 3.5 hour ride one way just to get it changed...

Your GPS will take you through corn fields, literally. I got crop dusted one time while traveling through one...

The deer and antelope hang out on the roads at night time and will not move PERIOD, so you gotta watch night driving there...

If you ever go to an area where there are a lot of Indians, don't expect to find any road signs or addresses, even though they have them...

If you get lost just stop at the nearest gas station, they know every single person by name in a 50 mile radias...

Expect your directions to consist of "Go north for 3.4 miles, turn east at the 3 horses and follow that for 1.8 miles, then turn back north at the hay bales that look like pigs, you will find them at exactly 2.4 miles on the left..."

Every town has a bar, even if it has a population of 3...

Expect to lose cellular coverage unless you're in a main city or on the main interstate...

Between towns, expect to be stuck behind tractors...

If you see fields on fire during the fall, it's normal, it's how the farmers get rid of last years crop leftovers...

Oklahoma - Lots of tornadoes...

Source(s): Been there, done that
  • Grin

I lived in Oklahoma for 24 years. It is a pretty state with lots of hills, trees, lakes. The winters are awful. Very cold and icy from December through Fdbruary. Great thunderstorms in the spring, but that brings tornadoes too.

It is also an Indian state or home to native Americans. There are multiple Indian reservations.

There are lots of colleges. OU & OSU being the most known.

I now live in Texas, and think Oklahoma is very oppressive. It seems the people are pigeon holed or categorized. They are not a forgiving or accomodating state. State agencies Fine you very high fees for being one day late with required reporting or fees. They also have state income tax. When you register your car each year, to get your license plates, it costs alot of money. They charge you tax each year on your car. In the 80's early 90's when I was a a young adult it cost at least $1000 per year to get my tags. In Texas it is only about $70 to $100.

There is currently a lot of oil drilling going on.

The landscape is nice, but I would not want to live there again.

Both are fertile farm country. ND is colder & has more snow verses OK is more humid & sticky in the summers. OK has been having some bad droughts in the winter/summer. It use to have much beautiful, lush, green fields & trees. ND has vast, flat beautiful farm lands. Think about "for amber waves of grain" (America the Beautiful).... corn fields, also. They both have cloudy & windy summers vs CA's "for spacious skies" usually clear w/feather clouds if any (N,.Cal.) anyway. North Dakota seems to be boring for some if you want a city life with much to do. OK is sorta like that also in many places. Both are perfectly fine for those that are home bodies & just enjoy chillin' outdoors & playing around outside with animals or working around in yards. =) OK has easier home schooling laws vs ND has some of the most strict laws. I've been in both states & think they're pretty. ND's winters can be tuff; the stuffiness of OK's summers can be difficult for some; plus OK has bigger big bug probs (& ticks, etc.). People can be nice or can be territorial & clichey everywhere.

Check out citydata.com to compare cities. Also be advised that that website makes no guarantee for accuracies in their reporting; it's not like they're telling you something IS one way for sure.

ND has coal excavations in the Bismarck area. The state has been experiencing an oil boom. OK's economy was suppose to be doing okay, too, if you can believe the reports. Best to find a reliable site to double check.

Great answers above & below me. =)

Most of what you've seen is spot-on. The male/female ratio is closer to even in Oklahoma. (And auto registration in Oklahoma now tops out at $91 a year, though you'll still have to pay 3.25 percent excise tax - though not sales tax - when you buy a car.) North Dakota, based on my vacation up there one summer, seems a bit neater, more orderly. Maybe it's the local temperament.