Lisa asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

what is a calorie deficit?

I've been doing some research on the internet but I can't find a clear answer. Is a calorie deficit the amount of calories between the amount needed to sustain your body and the amount that you are actually eating. E.g. I have to eat 1400 calories, but i actually eat 1200, so my deficit is 200 calories. OR, is it when you burn more calories off than your consuming. E.g. I eat 1200 calories but I burn 1400, so my deficit is 200 calories.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

A deficit is a deficiency or shortage of something. So, a calorie deficit is a shortage of calories. In other words, if you eat fewer calories than you burn during a day, the difference is the calorie deficit. If you eat more than you burn, there is no deficit.

Quantitatively, if you take in 2000 calories in a day and burn 2500 calories, then your calorie deficit for that day was 500 calories. You were short the 500 calories required to break even.

The calories deficit is important because it tells you how fast you're burning fat. If you maintained a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day for a week, you would have burned the equivalent of a pound of fat in calories that week.

Good luck and good health!!

A deficit is a negative number. Which means you are lacking in that many calories. If you burn 400 and consume 0, you have a deficit of 400.