Does this sound like chicken pox?

My son is 21 months old. 2 days ago he had a bit of a fever (101.5), which went away yesterday but he was still acting like he didn't feel well. We took him to the doctor yesterday to make sure he didn't have an ear infection or strep, which he didn't. It just looked like his throat was sore. And he acted like it was whenever he swallowed or coughed. We gave him tylenol a couple of times last night to help him sleep because he kept waking up crying. Now today I noticed what looked like a break out on his face, around his mouth. I thought maybe it was from the tylenol because he had gotten some on his face. But then later I noticed a what looks like a rash forming on his body, arms, legs, chest, and bit of his back. Plus the pustules on his face around his mouth.

I called the doctor's office and they're going to call me back. But does this sound like chicken pox? I'm a little worried because I'm also 26 weeks pregnant. I got the chicken pox when I was younger, but am I in danger of exposure?

Also, he doesn't act like he's feeling crummy, he's just refusing to really eat anything except for drinking milk and water.

Favorite Answer

Normally chicken pox will start off on the face, trunk, in the warmest areas of the body, low back, near arm pits, etc. It also generally takes 2-3 days to come to a head that is cloudy. The blisters start off filled with clear fluid. By 4days you are usually dealing with them drying up. New clusters occur though, so start of blisters until all blisters are finishing up is usually a week.

You being pregnant shouldn't be an issue. If you've had CP, you should be immune. Your new baby will also get transplacental immunity in the last trimester from you since you've had it & that generally lasts until near 6 months of age. And before anyone says "Well isn't he vaccinated - even if he is, the CDC's own claim is that the vax is 80% effective, which leaves 1 in 5 kids able to catch it.