tommyguard3 asked in SportsRunning · 9 years ago

is there a gps device for tracking a runner during a race?

My wife has recently started running. As she starts to get into races I would like to go out and support her since she has spent years watching my sports. While she is doing shorter distances it should be no problem, but as she gets to longer distances I don't see it being much fun sitting at the finish line for hours while she is running. Is there any device I could get her so I could track where she is in the race? That would definitely make it more enjoyable to be waiting to cheer her on.

Favorite Answer

install a tracker app on her cell phone, then you can track the location with the gps.

• Adam D

Check around to see if smart phones have an app that does this. Also, for larger races, many offer a service where you subscribe for free and receive a text message as a particular runner passes certain checkpoints.

You don't have to stand at the finish line the whole time. If you have a good idea of how long it will take her to run the race, you can meet her at several pre-planned locations (such as the halfway point) to cheer her on, then arrive in plenty of time to see her finish - spending the time in between getting a cup of coffee or something.

Source(s): I'm blogging: http://furryfellow.blogspot.com/
  • Yeti

There are tracking devices out there, and most cell phones these days would have options/programs you could use for that if she carries one on her.

In longer events, they also tend to provide splits along the course -- you can easily check the web to see when she's crossed various points along a marathon, for example.

And assuming she keeps a constant pace, you should even be able to simply predict a time frame when she'll be different locations if you want to go see her.

I'd see what you can do via her phone if you don't like options provided by races themselves.

Sure. GPS real time trackers go for about $300 or so. But you have to pay a monthly fee to use them. I don't know if you wanna spend that much, but there it is.

Many cell phones have these. Parents often use then to keep track of their kids.