Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 8 years ago

What do you think of the names Caledonia & Florence?

This is for a girl

• Favorite Answer

Caledonia... it reminds me of a country/provence. Most likely because it both looks and sounds so dangerously close to Maldonia. You know, where Prince Naveen from the Princess and the Frog hailed from? Yes, while that's most-certainly a childish connection, my main point is that it doesn't actually sound like a name, at all, to me. And I can't really imagine a little girl introducing herself as; "Hello! My name is Caledonia, and this is my sister Florence!" It just doesn't work, especially when you pair it up with Florence. Not to mention, what will children shorten it to? "Cale?" "Don?" - "Nia" is the only one I can see that's proper for a girl but, honestly, the prospects of that actually being used aren't looking good.

...

Florence, to me, falls into the category which so valiantly houses names such as Pearl, Hattie, Mabel, Roberta and Gertrude. Good, strong, intelligent names that don't receive half the amount of attention they deserve. Indeed, one of my own favourites, Fauna, seems to have fallen into that much-disused category...

I think that Florence has an aged appeal that not many in this modern era are prone to like as most are incapable of appreciating something so refined. However, who says we all must conform to modern standards? Florence is classy, it's rather ancient and it possesses a highly sophisticated feel that is lost on the more 'in' names of society. It's also rather frilly and effeminate, without being overly so, which is a plus since I can't stand overly-girly names and think that they're both excessive and unnecessary.

Florence is okay as a name, although it is quite dated. But Caledonia? No. Just no. New Caledonia is a place. Caledonia as a name just sounds silly, to be honest, and actually quite try-hard.

Hate them both...Caledonia means Scotland, Florence sounds like a nursing home name

Caledonia is a more unique name than Florence but I think Florence is more peaceful and feminine.

Caledonia sounds unique - it's not bad though, there's quite a few nice nicknames you could use with it too.

Florence is ok but a little old fashioned for me.

Caledonia - I find Caledonia to be growing on me every time I hear it. I love how they could be called Nia for short!

Florence - Florence is such a beautiful name! It is one of my absolute favourites!

i love the name caledonia!!!!! it is sooo cute. but i think it would sound better with something on the end of it like caledonia-miranda or caledonia-amiera

florence dosent sound like a very good name, its ok but i dont really like it.

hope this helps!!!! x

• Erika

i actually like it and it replaced into on my toddler call checklist for a jointly as. It does make me think of of Florence and the device, this is extremely a cool affiliation! (noone below 40 might connect it with the Magic Roundabout FGS!) I additionally like the "floral"/"flowers" affiliation. Its a desirable call!