does this seem right for a sword?

This is a sasuke style sword, the grass cutting sword, i can t belive the prices,they are so cheap!

To cheap for a sword.

But tell me what you think.

http://budk.com/Swords/Shinwa-Black-Nodachi-Damasc...

Best Answer

This sword is just damasked and mass produced that's why they are so cheap. Just because it is a damasked blade does not make it automatically good. A damasked blade is made by taking 2 or more pieces of metal and twisting it together and then just pounding it. It makes a fairly flexible and strong blade but not quite as good as a samurai sword. An expensive samurai sword would have two different hardnesses of steel to provide strength and sharpness. A quality samurai sword has a hard core which extends to the cutting edge to stay sharp longer which is encased in a softer outer layer which absorbs the blows so the sword does not vibrate during cutting or worse break. They are two different sword making techniques. Damasking was invented by the vikings or the french I think and from there it made to the arabs and turks. To the best of my knowledge Japanese swords were not damasked. They were folded.

• ?

According to the customer reviews, it seems fine.

Damascus steel is expensive, if this were to be made with stainless steel the price would drop significantly.

never buy from budk they love to sell products for too much and products that are of poor quality

• Ymir

It's nice if you are using it for decoration, but I wouldn't rely on it for any cutting.