Adware/spyware problem?

Running XP pro, Firefox on an older puter. The last two weeks, I have been randomly opened to various sites while online. Opening links from say,Google search also directs me to unwanted sites. The more critical problem; My temporary internet files folder has bloated to consume all available space on the... show more Running XP pro, Firefox on an older puter. The last two weeks, I have been randomly opened to various sites while online. Opening links from say,Google search also directs me to unwanted sites.
The more critical problem; My temporary internet files folder has bloated to consume all available space on the drive,often shutting down windows. At 15 gigabyte and growing,I can not access,delete, display,or manipulate any files/folders within this directory. My anti spyware has been useless, and my firewall minimally blocks some of the redirection in Firefox.
I have tried a half dozen anti spyware programs without success,some have compounded the problem. I have even resorted to some very powerful disk tools like hex workshop, still no success.
I would be most grateful if anyone knows what virus/malware this may be,and where I may find a removal tool or software that will delete these temp files.
I am not a nubee to data recovery/virus removal, but this has me frustrated to the point of C-4 .
(where's a good hacker when you need one)
Update: TNX sneghi and Julian; these were things I tried first including malwarebytes RCP. this actually made things worse for consuming yet more real estate on the drive. ARO2012 failed miserably also.
2 answers 2