Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 9 years ago

I'm looking to obtain some wine?

Hi, my husband and I don't drink much and so I have no idea how to go about choosing wine...I want to have a few bottles on hand for when we do a bit of entertaining. I make a lot of chicken, as well as white fish and shrimp, with the occasional authentic Italian lasagna & spaghetti & meatballs. basically I'd like to have 2 or 3 versatile bottles that I can bring out when needed. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

• eric
    Favorite Answer

The traditional white wine with lighter foods, red wine with heavier foods isn't as much of a priority these days--but it is a safe approach.

Got to the liquor store or liquor dept in a grocery store and have a look around. Often stores have cards near bottles that have gotten high marks. If looking for something new, I tend to look for bottles with a rating no lower than 90.

Wine taste is one of the most subjective aspects to dining, as you probably guessed. But there's no reason why you can't pick out some versatile ones that have mass appeal. For whites, I'd go with a Sauvignon Blanc, and a Pinot Grigio (or Pinot Gris if a French wine) or maybe a Gewurtztraminer if you like something on the sweet side. I'd stick with California wines to keep things simple, unless it is the Pinot Gris from france or the Gewurtztraminer which is German. I'd stay away from Chardonnays as some tend to be really oak-flavored and not liked by the casual drinker.

For reds, Merlots are very well received as well as Shiraz. For something with more body, a Tempranillo (Spain) is excellent.

Stay away from dessert wines--you'll buy it and never consume it unless you have someone over that has acquired a taste for it.

Cost of a wine isn't always indicative of a wine you will like. There are plenty of great bottles in the $10-15 range.

I'd encourage you to talk to the store clerk, the manager preferably. they are usually very knowledgable, even the ones a grocery stores.

BTW--the post above is intended to be funny, and it is. Most of what is on that list is consumed in the back of a car by high-schoolers.

Go to your local wine/alcohol/liquor store and ask for some advice on brands, but basically you should have a chardonay (white typically pairs well with white like chicken, light fish, salad), you also want a merlot or shiraz merlot blend that pairs with an Italian dinner, heavier and typically 'darker' meals. Your third bottle might be a port for a dessert wine. Try going to a wine tasting and learn a little more about what you would like to have in your reserve is the best opportunity though.

You can't go wrong with any of the following:

MD 20/20

Cisco

Thunderbird

Night Train

Wild Irish Rose

no advice