Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 8 years ago

1 week old with a runny nose?

My 9 day old baby boy has been up all night with a runny nose. It's 7:30am and mommy needs to sleep!

The mucous draining from his nose is clear and his temperature is normal. I've used Little Noses saline drops to clear things up, then I sucked out his nose. He only gets this way at night. Any ideas why? Any suggestions on how to clear his nose up? He had a Ped appointment yesterday and she wasn't concerned.

Favorite Answer

This happens, I am sure the doctor told you exactly what to look for, *(in order to keep a close watch), and yes it can be extremely upsetting. My own son had that the first week home, (and he was 10.4 lbs0.) the germs they are exposed too can really make these colds. Yes, the breathing is impaired but it *sounds like you are conscious of what to do. If it turns bronchial, go back to have the doctor listen to the breathing. Even you, or the hospital could have spread those germs but the good side is: Now the baby is exposed and then immune system is working (as it should be) especially when there is no fever. (the white blood count goes up when we/they are fighting any infection. Just keep him comfortable, and these are the reasons I choose to breast feed, it not only comforted the baby but he got the best start in the world. (Plus, they get much more immunity benefits in *mother's milk!) **Baby's fevers come on quickly, & *go up fast, so "keep watch", & they usually are *quite high when they do come on.

Source(s): *****Always keep in touch with doctor's office, as that will allow you to relax more, & just "enjoy him"!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

1 week old with a runny nose?

The mucous draining from his nose is clear and his temperature is normal. I've used Little Noses saline drops to clear things up, then I sucked out his nose. He only gets this way at...

Source(s): 1 week runny nose: https://shortly.im/OaL2b

Ugh I took my little guy the same reason. Dr said the same thing. A humidifer by babys bed might help

I put a vaporizer on in my babies room when he was little for this reason, seemed to clear it up.

good luck, hope you get some sleep !

• Ashley

It sounds as if they have gotten a virus from the mother. Take the kittens and the mother to the vet.