I what to start to get into poetry over the summer I have questions?

Im in the time of my life that I'm ready to find new talents. I'm 14 and at my school som

e people believe that talent comes in sports. I think that's wrong I think that u dnt have to be good at sports to have talent. But any how I what to get into poetry. There is something about poetry that amazes me it blows me away I have a few questions about it though

1-what is the best way for me to start poetry?

2- how long might it take me to eventually write my first poem?

3- how do u build your words up and then eventually reveal the subject

4- wat does it really take to be talented and poetry?

5- is it true that anyone can do it?

Favorite Answer

Poetry does not have to rhyme, but rhythm is important.

You must read as much as you can and as many different styles as you can, classic and contemporary; free verse and structured forms. Two good anthologies: Staying Alive, Real poems for Unreal Times edited by Neil Astley and Garrison Keillor's Good Poems. Two books on writing that will help guide you are Mary Oliver's A Poetry Handbook and The Poetry Home Repair Kit from Ted Kooser.

There are many good sites on line where you can read poetry daily or browse the archives:

Academy of Americans Poets

Poetry Daily

Verse Daily

The Writer's Almanac

Ploughshares

Rattle

Poetry 180

Poetry Foundation

And if you're looking for more poets, here's a very short list. Have fun!

William Stafford

Li-Young Lee

Gary Snyder

Dorianne Laux

Lucille Clifton

Mahmoud Darwish

Seamus Heaney

Anna Akhmatova

Stanley Kunitz

Yusef Komunyakaa

Kay Ryan

Jane Kenyon

Yehuda Amichai

Tony Hoagland

William Matthews

Emily Dickinson

Grace Paley

Wislawa Szymborska

Donald Hall

Jimmy Santiago Baca

Bob Hicok

Floyd Skloot

Mary Oliver

Ruth Stone

Jane Mead

Countee Cullen

WCW

Robert Frost

Brendan Galvin

Linda McCarriston

AE Stallings

Dylan Thomas

Richard Wilbur

Naomi Shihab Nye

Ted Kooser

Galway Kinnell

Rita Dove

Mary Jo Bang

Gjertrud Schnackenberg

Rhina Espaillat

Allen Ginsberg

Charles Simic

Czeslaw Milosz

Joy Harjo

Eavan Boland

Elizabeth Bishop

Les Murray

Federico García Lorca

Pablo Neruda

Robert Wrigley

John Ashbery

Dean Young

Major Jackson

Terrance Hayes

Patricia Smith

You start by reading a lot of good poetry. All of the most successful published poets have read hundreds, thousands of poems by other writers for every one they have written themselves.

Read the great poets of the past, and read a wide variety of the poetry being published today. Read formal verse (poetry that uses rhyme and meter) and free verse. Read comic verse and serious poetry. Read nature poems, love poems, war poems, every kind of poem you can get your hands on.

To get you started, you might want to ask a teacher or librarian you trust to recommend a good poetry anthology. A book like that will give you the opportunity to read a few poems each by many different poets. Then you can choose the ones you like best and look for more of their work.

Don't be in any big rush to write your first poem. And don't worry if your first poem, or even your first dozen poems, aren't very good. Don't worry if you start off imitating other poets instead of writing in your own unique voice. Every poet goes through that phase.

There's not really an answer for your questions. I started writing at that age too, but I didn't decide to become a writer, I just discovered a talent and decided to go with it. Find a style of writing (I write in Blank Verse) and go with it. Find a topic that speaks to you, and is WORTH WRITING. If you don't feel like it deserves to be the subject of a poem or story, don't write it. Show your friends what you've written, and try to be friendly with your English teacher or Librarian. They can give you feedback about any grammatical mistakes or the topic of your poetry, and give you suggestions as to what you should read. (I read quite a bit of Shakespeare). Sign up for an English Literature class, as that will give you plenty of opportunities to write and read a wide variety of poems, stories, and plays.

The way to be "talented at poetry" is to choose subjects close to your heart, and words that express those subjects closely. If a word doesn't look right, try changing it. Keep working at your style of writing, and you will develop a unique style that is truly your own.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

Source(s): Personal experience.

I recommend you get some poetry books and read. Start with poems on your grade level. Read up on the different kinds of poetry; for example, haiku, free verse, sonnet. Find out what "iambic pentameter" means. After you've read enough poems, try imitating the form and write one. Don't let it bother you if you mess up the first few times. Post on YAP and people here will be happy to help you out.

Hope that helps!