Books about what real hardship is for kids to read?

I am sick of my kids' ungratfeul attitudes. I would like them to read a book about what real hardship is, maybe biographies, etc . Then, I would like them to write a report on it. Maybe do this monthly? I would also like to see them keep a thankfulness journal, and write it in once a week.

Any recommendations on books for them to read? I have a 13 years old daughter and 10 year old son. One book for the 10 year old may be "The House of 60 Fathers" by Dejong. Any other ideas?

Favorite Answer

Some books similar to The House of 60 Fathers include:

The Nation by Terry Pratchett -- after a tsunami wipes out his community, a boy returns home to rebuild his island.

Hatchet by Gary Paulson -- after a plane crash, a 13 year old survives in the Canadian Wilderness for 54 days.

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen -- a modern girl travels back in time to the 1940s where she experience first hand the hardship of the Holocaust.

Banner in the Sky by James Ramsey Ullman -- a teenager struggles to survive while climbing the Alpine Citadel mountain, completing the goal of his late father.

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story -- autobiography of the Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon

Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama -- autobiography of the president of the United States

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

• Ruby

Gosh it sounds like you are having a tough time with them at the moment.

I read Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah (probably when I was about 12) and it certainly made me think. Um, the diary of Anne Frank? Maybe some Charles Dickens if they would read those? There are lots of books about child hardships, but not many I can think of as appropriate for such a young age.

The journal is a good idea, though I'm not sure how well it would work if they were forced to write it. They'd resent it and therefore not be truly thankful. They will turn a corner. They're at transitional ages.