Is government corruption the biggest problem in Canadian politics today?

It's for Social Studies. If you guys could help that would be great :)

Favorite Answer

Corruption probably isn't as big a problem as incompetence, untrustworthiness, arrogance, etc.. A recent poll found the majority of Canadians have predominantly negative things to say to describe ALL parties (Link).

I would argue the "First past the Post" election system is the biggest problem (vs Proportional representation). The Conservatives have a majority Government ... meaning they can do what they want ... despite only having less than 40% (and falling) support. The fact there are two opposition parties that split the centre/left vote ensures the Conservatives retain power (and unless the Liberals and NDP can amalgamate it will stay that way). This allows the Conservatives to pursue policies based on ideology rather than evidence (e.g. "Tough on Crime" which will cost $billions and has been proven to not work (in the US where they tried it), getting rid of the Long Form Census (which eliminates data on which to base policies), the F-35 purchase (no proof it's the plane we need, lying about costs), contempt for Parliament, etc, etc.).

Add to that, voter indifference, suspicion of tampering with the election ("Robocalls"), influence of big money, etc and it's clear there are MANY problems today.

it extremely is not lots approximately reducing or spending which you'll be asking approximately yet greater importantly,- what may be the finished impact of the movements you chosen. working example, on a similar time as the recent tax cut back saved me some cents consistent with purchase the finished impact it had on my life grew to become into so relativly low that i will certainly say "my life did no longer exchange in any respect". this implies there grew to become into basically approximately no impact on my life. Now if the tax exchange didnt ensue yet you took that funds and extra a sparkling provider that extremely benifited me, something with meaning, then could have been greater grateful. for occasion: the quantity i saved each and each month on an entire grew to become into equivalent to or exceeded my each and every year MSP funds. instead of giving us a paltry 2% off of taxes over some years time - something with small impact as against unfastened scientific the adaptation is lots greater obvious even inspite of the indisputable fact that the charges are the style of the comparable. on a similar time as to 3 human beings (noticeably huge spenders) a 2% low value might appear as if a greater desirable deal. yet except you're making ALOT of huge purchases and not basically one huge one like a house or a automobile. Then the unfastened MSP will nevertheless benifit you greater over a protracted term and it outcomes each person, to no longer point out that any extra funds that could desire to be saved via the goverment could nicely be utilized to truly greater strengthen the equipment. (and via equipment I dont basically recommend wellness care. I recommend ANY equipment that benifits canadians). you notice via reducing our taxes you're basically reducing the finished quantity of funds that the rustic recieves - cut back the funds canada makes means reducing the finished funds you may spend on the preliminary and needed centers that each and each one canadians want. So in last, It doesnt remember in case you "cut back" or "spend" basically make beneficial that regardless of you do - you makes beneficial it has a favorable impact on each and every canadians life. - particular it extremely is that trouble-free.