SA. ANXIETY. falling apart really in need of advice?

Hi all. I work as a beautician and perform massage in a hotel which is really difficult for me. I hate going to the staff room on break as i get really bad nervousness if someone approaches me, it gets worse if there is more than one person in the room. I left school early due to the stress of being around people and feeling uncomfortable. I got through college by taking amphetamines which i have stopped altogether about 6 months ago, every day is a struggle sober. I lost my job due to the salon closing about 6 months ago and was out of work for 5 months, i couldn't bring up the courage to try for another job. Luckily the new boss rang me with news of the salon re opening and offered me a job which i thought was great as i could start earning again. I fell into severe depression whilst out of work. I suffer from twitching, tremors in social situations and anxiety. I am currently on cilatopram which isn't helping much at all. I'm still living at home with my mum paying all bills as my income isn't stable. I know she gets upset with it all having to work alot of hours. i feel really bad as im just not independant at all. She wants to go travelling abroad whilst teaching and it scares the hell out of me because i know i'll somehow have to pay my own way and things aren't looking good. I don't seem to be getting any repeat business with my job, hardly any clients returning i think its due to my lack of social skills and they may be able to tell im anxious. I force myself to maintain eye contact even though i hate it. Unfortunately it's a self employed position which means i take my own money for the amount of treatments i do - which isn't progressing very well. Whilst in college i worked in retail which was hell for me. Really long for some stable income and direction in life but it seems the one career i long for doesn't seem to be working out for me. Im Nealy 20 and the thought of my future and just my life at the moment is really getting to me. I fear social situations and i have tried the whole going out there and facing it but just seem to get extreme anxiety whenever i do, especially when i am not with a friend. I don't see my friends that much as they are in relationships and hardly make any time for me and i also feel i am not worthy of their time sometimes. I know its unhealthy to think this way but i just long for some advice. I suffer from psoriasis which makes my extreme minimum confidence worse. Any ideas people? Sometimes i think about moving away and starting a fresh as i live in a small town and hate how everyone knows every ones business but i doubt i'll ever be able to do it, it would probably make my problems worse. I would be so grateful of any advice.

Favorite Answer

Hey. I know what you're going through. I have SA, psoriasis AND a speech impediment (a stutter), which compounds the problem to a whole other level. I have found that the best way of overcoming anxiety is by facing it head on, a little bit at a time. I'm quite introverted, but try to go out and do things, meet people (even though I feel queasy just thinking about it sometimes) . Despite my stutter, I forced myself to work at a call centre (which was hell!), and now I have gotten a position in a newspaper. Anxiety and fear are related, and by exposing yourself to social situations more, the uncomfortable feelings will eventually subside. I hope you have the courage to take the first step - have you tried inviting friends out for coffee etc? Regarding being a beautician and having psoriasis, if you have it on your hands, have you tried wearing white cotton gloves? I have found a lot of helpful tips at the following website, have a look!

I understand what your going through and I know how tough it is. No matter how hard I try sometimes I always end up running away from things, school, work, friends.

You could try counselling if you haven't already. That might help. Also maybe you could look for a career where you don't have to deal with the public as much or be in social situations a lot. I know you like your career at the moment but you could always return to it in the future when you overcome this. Look for a new group of friends, maybe join a group/club or something. All this is kinda like starting over in itself. Moving away might and might not help you. It sounds like you might be trying to run away from it, sadly though it will more and likely follow you, creep back in at some stage. The best thing to do before you move is face it and overcome it.

I've heard some great successful stories where people who had SA overcame it so there is hope for all of us even though it doesn't feel like that at times. I hope :o

Best of luck...

Please don't kill yourself. Everyone was put here for a reason. I can't judge you for smoking weed or drinking, because I do myself, but you shouldn't use it as a way to cope with your problems. Find other things to do. Exercise, hang out with your friends, do anything that gives you a sense od belonging and pleasure. If you think that nobody would care or miss you, you're wrong. Think about your mom and dad, or whoever your guardian is, they would be devistated. You're friends would be crushed. You're girlfriend would feel guilty for the rest of her life. Maybe you feel like she would deserve that, but it isn't worth taking your life for. People like myself would hear about you from a mutual friends, or in the news, or read about it in the newspaper. They would feel great sorrow, even if they'd never met you. You're obviously in a bad state of mind right now. You feel as if the world is only filled with sorrow and anger, tears and pain. That may be out there, but there is much more positive things to focus on. Your suicide would leave to more negativity. Strive to create a happier world for yourself. Don't kill yourself, because no matter what you believe in, you were put on this Earth for a reason. Like doesn't occur spontaniously. Don't kill your self, because some stranger on Yahoo answers cares enough to tell you not to.

This may help reduce your anxiety in your life generally:

http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Anxiety