Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Haven't filed taxes in 3 years. What now?

I am in the begining stages of filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Here is the problem.. My lawyer needs my previous year tax returns. I have not filed taxes in the state of WI where I live in 3 years. I am sure that I owe money because when I was laid off from my previous job I was collecting unemployment. I do not have my W 2's from previous employers, nor do I have check stubs. What do I do now and what may the consequences be for not filing? I am afraid that I am in for a big problem with big brother. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can call the irs 800 829 1040 and ask for a wage and income transcript. To get information to file your prior years tax returns. If you owe the IRS then you could ask the for an offer to comprise to negotiation a settlement on amount you owe. You have to be current on tax returns in order to get bankruptcy to got thru smoothly. Don't forget to call your state for state withholding info.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You can find the best solution for you at: QUOTEQUOTING.NET-

RE Haven't filed taxes in 3 years. What now?

I am in the begining stages of filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Here is the problem.. My lawyer needs my previous year tax returns. I have not filed taxes in the state of WI where I live in 3 years. I am sure that I owe money because when I was laid off from my previous job I was collecting unemployment. I do not have my W 2's from previous employers, nor do I have check stubs. What do I do now and what may the consequences be for not filing? I am afraid that I am in for a big problem with big brother. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 9 years ago

You will have to file your returns before you get a discharge. IRS can provide you with information documents showing wages and other income reported plus federal taxes withheld. You will have to contact the state to find out what was withheld there.

• tro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

you have to be up to date on your tax filing in order to enter into a b/k

you need to get your information together and get those returns filed

you can get W-2s from your employers, they maintain records for 4 yrs

you will not be able to proceed without filing them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.