So you have any experience with McDonnell Douglas MD 11 aircraft?

My family and I will travel to Aruba this summer. We are flying with KLM, which operates with a Mc Donnell Douglas MD 11 aircraft. As my parents read that these planes have a high accident rate and are pretty old and technically not up to date, they now have second thoughts about going on holiday. Has anyone got any experience with those planes, so I can assure my parents it's safe? Thanks:)

Favorite Answer

There's only been one passenger variant hull loss incident that claimed all souls on board, and that was Swissair 111 in 1998. Most MD-11 losses were cargo aircraft and most of those losses were ultimately attributed to pilot error, although design peculiarities did contribute in some of those losses.

The last KLM fatal incident was on 27 March 1977, when KLM Flight 4805, a Boeing 747-206B, and Pan Am Flight 1736, a Boeing 747-121, collided at Tenerife, Canary Islands, killing 583 people. There were 61 survivors.

properly maintained they are perfectly safe and klm has one of the best safety records in the world.

go, have fun.