Erik asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

What are some of the major events that occurred in history?

I am doing a project for school, and I need to have 5 major events in the 1990's and 10 major events over all in history from the 1920's-Present. I already have the following event:

1990's:

-Dissolution of the Soviet Union

-The Cloning of Dolly the Sheep

-The Mars Pathfinder

-The Death of Princess Diana

Over All:

-The Great Depression

-Vietnam War

-The Beatles

-Assassination of John F. Kennedy

-Apollo 11

-The Watergate Scandal

-9/11

-Death of Osama Bin Laden

As you can see, I still need 1 for the 1990's and 2 for the over all history. What are some more events I can research on? I just need 3 more!

• xo379
    Best Answer

--Gulf War, 1990-1991 - Major war in the Middle East

--Yugoslave Wars, 1991 to 1995 and then again from 1998 until 1999/2001 - led to the breakup of Yugoslavia; major ethnic cleansing/genocide

--Rwandan Genocide, 1994

--Taliban seizes control of Afghanistan, 1996

--Los Angeles riots in response to the police brutality case against Rodney King, 1992

--Oklahoma City bombing, 1995

--World Trade Center bombing, 1993

--Nelson Mandela (finally!) released from jail after 30 years in prison for opposing apartheid in South Africa, 1994

--Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal, first broke in 1998

--IRA agrees to a truce, 1994. This marked the beginning of the end of 25 years of violence between the IRA and the United Kingdom, and the start of political negotiations.

--On 17 July 1996 Trans World Airlines Flight 800 (TWA 800), a Boeing 747–131, exploded and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean near East Moriches, New York, killing 230.

You should also obviously add World War II/the rise of Hitler/the Holocaust. You could also possibly add :

--Korean War

--The Cold War (that would be a major one...)

--Assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

--AIDS identified, 1981

--Famine in Ethiopia, 1985

--Wreck of the Titanic found, 1985

--Chernobyl nuclear accident, 1986

--Challenger space shuttle explodes, 1986

--•New York Stock Exchange Suffers Huge Drop on "Black Monday", 1987

--Exxon Valdez Spills Millions of Gallons of Oil on Coastline , 1989

• Yun

World War II was a huge event, so it needs to be on your list.

I would also list the Korean War, and I would surely use that before "the Beatles."

I would put the Cuban Missile Crisis before the "death of Osama bin Laden."

For the 1990s, I would suggest the Persian Gulf War.

I would also put in the Impeachment of President Bill Clinton

EDIT:

Laredo, most of the time people don't edit their mistakes. It's nice to see someone that does.

• Laredo

For over all there is World War 2 1939-1945, and the League of Nations was established In January 1920.

The Irish Free State is created (1921), The Gold Bullion Standard is adopted (1925), The British Broadcasting Corporation is created (1927), Women over 21 are given the vote (1928), The National Health Service is established (1946), The United Nations is founded (1946), The European Free Trade Association is formed (1959), The Nuclear Test Ban treaty is signed (1963), Decimal currency is introduced (1971), Britain joins the EEC (1973).

I have lots more if you should need them, Sir.

Princess Diana's death is not a major event in history. Try the Internet boom.

The first Iraq war

• ?

Great depression WW II Social Security Act implemented

In your "overall" catagory, you do realize you've completely skipped over World War II, right? Not a mention of anything having to do with it...